We represent individuals and businesses affected by environmental damage, unsafe products and unfair business practices.
Environmental & Product Liability
We are experts in managing individual and group claims across a range of sectors, including defective medical devices, pharmaceuticals and environmental damage. Our cases are often high profile and international in scope, involving misconduct committed overseas by UK-based multinationals.
Unlike other claimant firms in the UK, Hausfeld operates through a network of international offices across the US and Europe. Our international reach enables us to match multinational defendants with global expertise.
We are committed to promoting access to justice and regularly use flexible fee structures and litigation funding to facilitate claims.
Notable recent product liability cases
- Acting for women who have developed a rare form of cancer, known as BIA-ALCL, associated with Allergan breast implants
- Acting for hundreds of individuals who allegedly suffered congenital birth defects as a result of their in-utero exposure to Hormone Pregnancy Tests.
- Representing gymnasts alleging abusive practices and culture within British Gymnastics and various gymnastic clubs across the UK.
- Acting for thousands of Zambian residents in the vicinity of the Nchanga Copper Mine alleging personal injury and widespread environmental damage due to pollution emitted by the mine.
- Acting for UK based owners of Mercedes vehicles in claims relating to the ‘dieselgate’ emissions scandal.
- Acting for British residents bringing claims in the Spanish courts to recover lost deposits invested in Spanish holiday apartments.
We have a dedicated climate change litigation team with a broad range of expertise.
Our clients include international NGOs, climate change activists, businesses and individuals. Our recent instructions include filing a ground-breaking petition with the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child on behalf of 16 youth activists.
Our multidisciplinary team is drawn from our market-leading competition and commercial disputes practices and can act in the following areas:
- Claims against carbon majors for breaches of domestic or international law in connection with their contributions to climate change.
- Judicial review and administrative proceedings against governments in respect of breaches of environmental law.
- Human rights claims and international climate treaty body submissions.
- Claims on behalf of individuals who have suffered personal injuries as losses as a result of climate change and environmental harm.
- Claims by shareholders and investors in respect of misleading descriptions of products or services (so called ‘greenwashing’).
- Disputes involving green finance.
- Regulatory advice regarding domestic and international climate and environmental laws.
For our additional Environmental & Product Liability expertise in:
Chambers Global Crisis & Risk Management 2022
Ranked for 'Environment, Social & Governance Risk': International claimant-side law firm Hausfeld is known for its pursuit of social justice and corporate accountability. The firm has offices across the US and Europe but is particularly effective acting for groups and organisations in Europe and the UK fighting for climate justice.
Legal 500 UK, 2022
We have valued Hausfeld’s collaboration with us on an environmental matter. They have brought insight, enthusiasm and expertise to the role, have been a delight to work with and have really understood what is important to us and worked extremely hard to deliver results which met our drivers.
Legal 500 UK, 2022
Hausfeld has a large team of litigators with a tremendous depth of experience and expertise in this field.
Legal 500 UK, 2022
Hausfeld has an international reputation for representing claimants in civil liberties and human rights claims across the globe – and in particular in cases which relate to the environment.