Given today’s digital economy, businesses are entrusted with far more sensitive financial, personal, and biometric data than they ever have before. But many of these same companies fail to provide adequate or reasonable safeguards to protect this information from disclosure.
Technology & Data Breach
As a result, an ever-increasing number of companies are facing attacks from outsiders looking to exploit and monetize this data.
Hausfeld is a recognized leader in cybersecurity and privacy litigation and has been involved in many of the largest and most cutting-edge data breach and privacy cases – both domestically and in Europe. Hausfeld’s lawyers have led dozens of cases and been pioneers in seeking compensation for victims of data breaches and privacy violations around the globe. In legal actions against retailers, health care companies, credit bureaus, and restaurant chains whose ineffective security measures led to the release of private information, we have recovered well over $1 billion to date for consumers and businesses – securing much-needed relief for scores of impacted entities.
We have also contributed to the development of privacy, damages, and standing law and created groundbreaking precedent that has reshaped the law in these areas.
- We serve as Co-Lead Counsel in In re: T-Mobile Customer Data Security Breach Litigation MDL, representing a class of plaintiffs whose data was allegedly exposed during a 2021 breach, securing a $350 million settlement and an agreement to increase data security spending by $150 million over the next two years, one of the largest per capita settlements ever reached in a data breach.
- We served as one of the court-appointed Steering Committee members in In re Target Corporation Customer Data Security Breach Litigation, the largest data breach at the time. After the court granted class certification to a nationwide class of financial institutions, we obtained a pioneering $60 million settlement that covered class members’ out-of-pocket costs sustained as a result of the breach. The settlement, the first of its kind, also required Target to implement numerous data security changes going forward.
- We also served on the PSC in In re Equifax Inc. Customer Data Security Breach Litigation. The massive 2017 breach, which exposed the personal information of tens of millions of consumers, was resolved in a settlement valued at more than $1.5 billion.
- We currently serve as Co-Lead Class Counsel in In re Marriott International, Inc., Customer Data Security Litigation, where the court recently certified as a class action the bulk of the plaintiffs’ claims in a five state bellwether process.
- We also serve on the Steering Committee in In re: TikTok, Inc., Consumer Privacy Litigation, where we have asserted Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act and California privacy claims on behalf of millions of TikTok users who were surreptitiously monitored.
- As legal pioneers in the global Big Tech and Digital Markets space, we are transforming the practice of law with new ideas and are bringing antitrust and competition claims others aren’t bold enough to bring.
For our additional Technology & Data Breach expertise in:
National Law Journal, 2020
James Pizzirusso is named a 'Washington, D.C. Trailblazer' for being a trailblazer in the plaintiff-side data privacy and security arena, where he has fought for justice for consumers impacted by sprawling data breaches on behalf of large corporations such as Equifax, Target, and Wendy’s, to name a few.