Melinda represents large companies and classes of direct and indirect purchasers of products that have been the subject of antitrust violations across the globe. She has litigated complex class actions through the hurdles of class certification, summary judgment, and trial. In her cases, clients and classes she represents have obtained more than $1 billion in settlements, and in one recent case, a 9-0 victory in the U.S. Supreme Court. She proudly works to ensure private enforcement of the country’s antitrust laws and to ensure free and open markets.
Melinda has represented clients in the pharmaceutical, agricultural, industrial gas, auto parts, and rail freight and air cargo industries. She represents companies listed in the Fortune 200, as well as classes of direct and indirect purchasers of products impacted by antitrust violations.
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., cum laude, 2008; Former editor of the Georgetown Journal of Gender and the Law
Tufts University, B.A., magna cum laude, 2003
District of Columbia
United States District Court for the District of Columbia
United States District Court for the District of Maryland
United States District Court for the Western District of New York
United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
United States Supreme Court
Member, American Bar Association - International Cartel Task Force (2018 - Present)
Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America (2016)
- "National Why Antitrust: Discussing Big Tech," ABA Antitrust Section Membership, Diversity, & Inclusion Committee (Feb. 26, 2021), Panel Speaker
- "The Present and Future of Antitrust Litigation," George Mason Law Review’s virtual 24th Annual Antitrust Symposium (Feb. 17, 2021), Panel Speaker
- "Cartels Hit the Kitchen Table," ABA Section of Antitrust Law (May 28, 2020), Panel Speaker
- "What is the Secret Sauce Behind Developing a Complaint?" ABA Section of Antitrust Law’s weekly podcast, Our Curious Amalgam (Sept. 18, 2019), Guest Speaker
- "Antitrust Issues in Private Enforcement Actions Against Agricultural Industries," AAI 11th Annual Private Antitrust Enforcement Conference (Nov. 7, 2017), Panel Speaker
- "Did the enforcers go bananas in Dole v. Commission? What are the boundaries of cartel conduct - and why does it matter?" GCR Live Cartels (April 5, 2016), Panel Speaker
- "Antitrust Claims: Class Actions and Opting Out," AAJ Annual Convention (July 26-29, 2014), Panel Speaker
- "Number of price-fixing lawsuits filed against CSX, other railroads jumps to 266," Jacksonville Business Journal (March 2, 2020),
- "Vitamin C Purchasers Win Unanimous Supreme Court Victory in Decade-Long Antitrust Litigation," AP News (June 14, 2018)
- "100 Women In Antitrust," Global Competition Review (2016)
- "Law360 Names Attys Who Moved Up The Firm Ranks In Q1," Law360 (April 15, 2015)
- "The Class of 2014," Global Competition Review (Mar. 5, 2015)
- "At Some D.C. Firms, More Women than Men Make Partner," The National Law Journal (Jan. 19, 2015)
WHAT OTHERS SAY
Global Competition Review
- Litigation of the Year - Cartel Prosecution in 2019: an honor she received as part of the In re Vitamin C Litigation case team, which she led.
- Top 100 Women in Antitrust in 2016
- Top Plaintiff Financial Lawyer since 2019
- Next Generation Lawyer in Antitrust – Civil Litigation/Class Actions: Plaintiff since 2019
- Recommended Attorney every year since 2017
- Rising Star in Antitrust – Cartel Enforcement in 2015
"Melinda Coolidge is easy to work with and very smart and responsive." (The Legal 500 US, Antitrust – Civil Litigation/Class Actions: Plaintiff, 2021)
"Melinda Coolidge and Scott Martin go above and beyond at all hours to provide the best level of customer service. They are always there with an explanation." (The Legal 500 US, Antitrust – Civil Litigation/Class Actions: Plaintiff, 2020)
"Brian Ratner and Melinda Coolidge are both first class. They are personable, knowledgeable and deliver results." (The Legal 500 US, Antitrust – Civil Litigation/Class Actions: Plaintiff, 2020)
- Super Lawyer, Antitrust Litigation in Washington, DC in 2020
- Rising Star, Antitrust Litigation in Washington, DC five years consecutively between 2014-2019
- Antitrust Trailblazer by the National Law Journal in 2016
- Rising Star, Class Actions in 2015 by Law360
WHAT OTHERS SAY
Legal 500 US, 2021
Easy to work with and very smart and responsive.
Legal 500 US, 2020
Melinda Coolidge and Brian Ratner are both first class. They are personable, knowledgeable and deliver results.
Legal 500 US, 2020
Melinda Coolidge and Scott Martin go above and beyond at all hours to provide the best level of customer service. They are always there with an explanation.