Brian is a founding partner of Hausfeld and serves as Global Co-Chair of the firm. He has extensive experience representing U.S. and international businesses in complex litigation at the trial and appellate levels. He is particularly experienced in litigating and resolving antitrust claims in U.S. and European courts, recovering billions of dollars for his corporate clients and the classes he has represented.
Brian’s broad global experience demonstrates his ability to tackle and find solutions for the most novel legal issues, as well as represent his clients at all stages of global antitrust litigation and other complex business disputes, whether in the discovery, damages, trial, appeal or settlement phase, or whether in the U.S., Europe, or globally. This unique combination enables him to counsel and act for clients comprehensively, in a commercially sensitive manner, and wherever necessary.
Brian represents clients from a wide range of sectors including automotive, retail, transportation, petroleum, utility, pharma, financial services, and technology.
Brian currently represents or has represented purchasers of auto parts, rail freight, maritime car carrier services, air freight services, carbon graphite, polyurethane foam, paraffin wax, marine hose, Visa/MasterCard services, trucks, power cables, elevators, and pre-stressing steel in their individual cartel damage claims in the US, Europe and/or globally. In the marine hose matter, on behalf of a group of oil and gas companies, he led the negotiations with cartelist Parker ITR which produced a first of its kind private global settlement agreement.
Many of Brian's diverse clients are listed in the US and Global Fortune 100 and Fortune 500.
University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D., 1999
Indiana University- Bloomington, B.A.J., 1996
District of Columbia
The United States Supreme Court
Several Federal Courts
Managing Editor, Journal of Law and Commerce
President, CertifiKID, a national deal website focused on kids’ activities and family entertainment. In 2010, Brian co-founded the business with his wife Jamie who serves as CEO and runs the day to day operations. His focus with the business is on high level business strategy and partnerships, as well as legal and financial issues. In April 2019, Jamie and Brian appeared on the popular ABC television show Shark Tank and cut a deal with Kevin O'Leary (a/k/a "Mr. Wonderful"), which was one of the top five biggest investments he has made in any company in ten seasons of the show. In 2020, CertifiKID acquired Macaroni Kid, a digital media powerhouse that delivers hyper-local content on the best things to do and places to go with kids through 500 local influencers' e-newsletters for more than 4,000 communities across the country, making CertifiKID one of the largest parent-focused digital media and advertising companies in the country, reaching millions of families nationwide.
- "Criminal Antitrust Panel," Edward Bennett Williams Inn of Court (Nov. 15, 2018), Panelist
- "International- Private Antitrust Enforcement Around the Globe," AAI 11th Annual Private Antitrust Enforcement Conference (Nov. 7, 2017), Panelist
- "Global antitrust litigation - A brave new world," GCR Live 5th Annual Antitrust Law Leaders Forum (Feb. 5-6, 2016), Panelist
- "Private Enforcement: New International Approaches and Developments," Northwestern Law (May 20, 2015), Panelist
- “Delivering Substantial Shareholder Returns Through Cartel Damages Litigation, on a Risk-Free Basis and with No Financial Investment," 10th Corporate Counsel & Corporate Compliance Exchange (April 7-9, 2014), Panel Leader
- "Chapter 39: USA," The International Comparative Legal Guide to Cartels & Leniency (2014), Co-Author
- "Principles and Objectives of Formal and Informal Settlements in EU Competition Cases: The Claimant’s Perspective," submitted for European University Institute's 13th Annual Competition Law & Policy Workshop, (publication pending), Co-Author
- "Prosecuting Class Actions and Group Litigation - Understanding the Rise of International Class and Collective Action Litigation and How this Leads to Classes that Span International Borders," World Class Actions, Chapter 26, September 2012), Co-Author with Michael Hausfeld
- "The Novelty of Wal-Mart v. Dukes," American Bar Association, Business Torts & Civil RICO Committee, Business Torts & RICO News (Vol. 8, Issue 1, Fall 2011), Co-Author with Sathya S. Gosselin
- "A Proposal for a Transitional Forum," submitted for Law Seminars International: Antitrust Claims Against Foreign Firms and Cartels conference (Sept. 7-8, 2006), Co-Author
- "As Antitrust Enforcement Booms, Attorneys Eye AI and ESG as Emerging Targets," The National Law Journal (February 28, 2023)
- "Michael Hausfeld Leaves Chair Position In Major Leadership Change," Competition Policy International (December 2, 2021)
- "Hausfeld Bets on Antitrust Litigation, Big Tech and Female Leadership," National Law Journal (December 2, 2021)
- "Hausfeld to ‘Set Course’ for Namesake Firm After Stepping Down," Bloomberg Law (December 2, 2021)
- "Hausfeld Plans Expansion with All-Women C-Suite," Law360 (June 8, 2021)
- "What It Takes to Dominate in the Elite Game of International Litigation," The American Lawyer (Sept. 28, 2017)
- "Bar hopping," Global Competition Review (June 30, 2014)
- "Jury Finds Chinese Vitamin C Makers Fixed Prices; $153.3M Judgment Entered," Mealey's Legal News & Litigation Reports (March 14, 2013)
- "Rising Star: Hausfeld's Brian Ratner," Law360 (March 22, 2012)
- "Brian Ratner, People on the Move," Business Journal (April 4, 2012)
- "Vitamins cartel action filed against Roche in Panama," Law360, (Sept. 11, 2009)
- "40 under 40," 2009 Legal Times (July 14, 2009)
- "Unprecedented Global Settlement Reached with Parker ITR in Marine Hose Cartel," Class Action Litigation (March 13, 2009)
- "Private settlements could gain steam, lawyers say," Law360 (March 12, 2009)
- "'Shell Model' Opens Door to European Class Actions," The American Lawyer (Jan. 7, 2008)
WHAT OTHERS SAY
American Antitrust Institute
- Outstanding Antitrust Litigation Achievement in Private Law Practice in 2019: an honor he received as part of the In re Vitamin C Litigation case team.
Global Competition Review
- Litigation of the Year - Cartel Prosecution in 2019: an honor he received as part of the In re Vitamin C Litigation case team.
- Leading Global Litigation Lawyer in 2021 and 2023
- Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyer since 2019
- Leading Lawyer in America since 2018
- Hall of Fame since 2022, Antitrust - Civil Litigation/Class Actions: Plaintiff
- Recommended Lawyer, Antitrust - Civil Litigation/Class Actions since 2013
- Hall of Fame in 2020 – described by the Legal 500 as "including individuals who have received constant praise from their clients for continued excellence. The Hall of Fame highlights, to clients, the law firm partners who are at the pinnacle of the profession."
"Founding partner Brian Ratner stands out in an already amazing team. He combines vast knowledge with a very good business acumen and sense for what really matters in a given situation. He is a sharp out-of-the box thinker and extremely pragmatic where appropriate. Working with him is a privilege." (Legal 500 US, Antitrust Civil Litigation/Class Action: Plaintiff, 2023)
Described as "commercially minded." (Legal 500 US, Antitrust - Civil Litigation/Class Actions, 2021)
"Brian Ratner and Melinda Coolidge are both first class. They are personable, knowledgeable and deliver results." (Legal 500 US, Antitrust - Civil Litigation/Class Actions, 2020)
"[T]he 'incredibly impressive' . . . Brian Ratner [is a] highly skilled negotiator and litigator, and real fighter with an outstanding strategic sense . . . brilliant lawyer Brian Ratner is a very smart and business-oriented negotiator . . . [He] thinks strategically, is an excellent negotiator and has a solid foundation of substantive law." (Legal 500 US, Antitrust - Civil Litigation/Class Actions, 2013-Present)
"Engaging, highly competent professional who can simplify complex antitrust matters and make them comprehensible to a non-antitrust attorney." (Legal 500 US, Antitrust - Civil Litigation/Class Actions, 2011)
- Super Lawyer, Antitrust Litigation in Washington, DC since 2014
Who’s Who Legal
- Thought Leader, Competition: Plaintiff in 2021 & 2023
- Global Leader, Competition: Plaintiff in 2020 & 2023
- Recommended Lawyer, Competition: Plaintiff since 2018
"Brian is a quick and lateral thinker who is also extremely commercially oriented." (Who's Who Legal, Competition - Plaintiff, 2023)
"Brian Ratner is a top name in the competition field who is well versed in complex litigation in both US and European courts." (Who’s Who Legal, Competition - Plaintiff - Legal Marketplace Analysis, 2022)
"Held to be a go-to practitioner on account of his prolific experience litigating domestic and European antitrust claims." (Who’s Who Legal, Competition - Plaintiff - Legal Marketplace Analysis, 2021)
"Brian Ratner earns impressive recommendations for his competition plaintiff expertise. He is considered ‘smart and likeable,’ and 'one of the next-generation leaders.'" (Who’s Who Legal, Competition - Plaintiff - Legal Marketplace Analysis, 2020)
Brian Ratner has "a brilliant legal mind while being extremely pragmatic and commercially minded," commented interviewees. (Who’s Who Legal, Competition - Plaintiff - Legal Marketplace Analysis, 2019)
"He is praised as a lawyer who 'goes the extra mile,' and whose 'high-quality work product is feared by competitors.'" (Who’s Who Legal, Competition - Plaintiff - Legal Marketplace Analysis, 2018)
- Local Litigation Star from 2013-2015 and Antitrust Litigation Star in 2013 by Benchmark Litigation.
- Rising Stars in 2012 by Law360
- 40 under 40 by in 2009 The Legal Times
Disclaimer: The DC Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters; the Legal 500 is published by Legalease Ltd. The Benchmark Plaintiff Guide is published by Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC and Institutional Investor, Inc. The Law360 Rising Stars list is issued by Portfolio Media, Inc. The Legal Times “40 under 40” list is issued by American Lawyer Media. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
WHAT OTHERS SAY
Legal 500 US, 2023
Founding partner Brian Ratner stands out in an already amazing team. He combines vast knowledge with a very good business acumen and sense for what really matters in a given situation. He is a sharp out-of-the box thinker and extremely pragmatic where appropriate. Working with him is a privilege.
Who's Who Legal - Competition, 2021
Held to be a go-to practitioner on account of his prolific experience litigating domestic and European antitrust claims.
Who's Who Legal - Competition, 2020
Earns impressive recommendations for his competition plaintiff expertise. He is considered 'smart and likeable,' and 'one of the next-generation leaders.'
Legal 500 US, 2020
Brian Ratner and Melinda Coolidge are both first class. They are personable, knowledgeable and deliver results.
Legal 500, 2014-Present
[T]he ‘incredibly impressive . . . Brian Ratner [is a] highly skilled negotiator and litigator, and real fighter with an outstanding strategic sense . . . brilliant lawyer Brian Ratner is a very smart and business-oriented negotiator . . . [He] thinks strategically, is an excellent negotiator and has a solid foundation of substantive law.”