Scott Campbell is Head of the Competition Disputes team in Hausfeld’s London office. He has extensive experience of acting on behalf of individual corporates or groups of claimants in a range of complex multi-jurisdictional disputes arising out of infringements of EU and UK competition law.
Scott has acted on some of the largest cartel damages cases to date in England. He is currently representing a group of companies in the Competition Appeal Tribunal in respect of their damages claims arising from the European Truck cartel. This case was listed among The Lawyer magazine's Top 20 Cases for 2019.
He has successfully litigated many of the leading competition damages cases of the last decade or so in the English Courts. He is equally at home in the Commercial Court, the Chancery Division, the Competition Appeal Tribunal, the Court of Appeal, the Supreme Court or in alternative dispute resolution. He also coordinates competition damages claims in other jurisdictions in the EU.
In addition, Scott has considerable experience in assisting clients with managing their litigation costs and risks through alternative fee arrangements - including contingent fee agreements, DBAs and CFAs, third party litigation funding and after the event insurance.
Scott has experience of acting for defendants both in regulatory investigations and damages claims, but since 2007 he has concentrated on acting only on behalf of competition damages claimants.
Having trained and qualified as a solicitor in 2004 with Norton Rose Fulbright in London and Brussels, he then developed his competition law expertise with Latham & Watkins. He became a partner at Hausfeld in 2017.
- SSE plc & ors v Prysmian Cables & Systems Ltd and Others, representing companies with claims arising out of a global cartel in the high voltage cables manufacturing sector.
- Veolia Environnement S.A & Others v Fiat Chrysler Automobiles & Others, representing claimants with damages claims arising from a cartel in the European trucks manufacturing industry.
- iiyama (UK) Ltd & Ors v Samsung Electronics Co Ltd & Ors and iiyama Benelux BV and Ors v Schott AG & Ors, representing claimants with damages actions arising from the LCDs and Cathode Ray Tube and glass cartels.
- Arcadia Brands Limited & Ors v Visa Inc & Ors, a set of claims brought by 13 large UK retailers for damages resulting from Visa's setting and imposition of interchange fees while operating its payment card system in Europe (listed among The Lawyer newspaper's Top 20 Cases of 2016).
- Emerald Supplies Limited & Anr v British Airways Plc, arising out of a world-wide conspiracy to inflate the price of shipping goods by air.
- The global settlement of Parker ITR's liabilities arising from its participation in a global cartel to inflate the price of marine hoses.
- Waha Oil Company v Dunlop Oil & Marine Limited, arising from the Marine Hose cartel.
- Volvo Car Corporation v Pilkington Automotive Limited, arising from the Car Glass cartel.
- The £73.5 million settlement of cartel damages claims of UK and US purchasers of long-haul air passenger services with British Airways Plc and Virgin Atlantic Limited.
- British Nuclear Group Sellafield Ltd v Kernkraftwerk Brokdorf & Ors, acting for E.ON regarding EU and regulatory issues in proceedings in the Chancery Division arising out of contracts for the reprocessing of spent fuel at Sellafield (THORP).
- Matters arising from the DRAM Memory Chips, Copper Tubes, Copper Fittings, Flat Glass, Refrigeration Compressors, Paraffin Wax, Methionine, Elevators & Escalators, Carbon & Graphite Products and Vitamins cartels.
What Others Say
Scott Campbell acts for claimants on damages actions arising from EC cartel decisions. He often acts for clients from the energy and retail industries. - Competition Law: Private Enforcement: Claimant, Chambers UK, 2021
Scott Campbell advises groups of claimant companies on follow-on damages proceedings filed in the UK. He also plays a key role in commercial claims brought in other EU jurisdictions. He is well known among market commentators as a skilled litigator. - Competition Law: Private Enforcement: Claimant, Chambers UK, Chambers Europe and Chambers Global 2020
Commentators say: “Scott is very unflappable, a calm head in turbulent situations and able to keep the team on an even keel." - Competition Law: Private Enforcement: Claimant, Chambers UK, Chambers Europe and Chambers Global 2019
“Scott has extensive experience in handling multi-jurisdictional commercial disputes arising out of infringements of EU and UK competition law.” - Competition Law: Private Enforcement: Claimant, Chambers UK 2018
An up-and-coming practitioner who gains recognition for his expertise from several market sources. His experience includes handling complex multi-jurisdictional claims involving both UK and EU competition law.
Ranked as a Leading Individual: ‘The recruitment of Scott Campbell in 2017 was useful to the firm, as he brought a wealth of competition litigation experience with him.’ - Competition Litigation, 2021
Scott Campbell has been highlighted as an outstanding lawyer. - Competition Litigation, 2020
‘Scott Campbell adopts a strong pragmatic approach to issues that arise within litigation’. - Competition Litigation, 2020
‘Deeply experienced’ – Competition Litigation 2018 and 2019
Who's Who Legal
Scott Campbell wows commentators with his extensive skills in competition; impressed peers declare that they “have referred work to Scott in the past, and would do so again”. - Global Leader for Competition Plaintiffs, 2020
Scott Campbell is a well-regarded figure in the European market who offers clients over a decade of experience in litigating competition matters before the Court of Appeal and the Competition Appeal Tribunal among other venues. - Global Leader for Competition Plaintiffs, 2019
Furthermore, only one in seven of the individuals considered makes it on to the WWL Thought Leaders Competition, Plaintiffs list. In 2019, Scott was included as a Thought Leader for the jurisdiction of England & Wales.
The Lawyer Top 20 Litigation 2019
In 2019, The Lawyer nominated the Trucks cartel case in their Top 20 Cases for 2019: “In the UK, Scott Campbell and Anna Morfey are leading the team representing Wolseley UK Ltd & Ors, Suez Groupe SAS & Ors and Veolia Environnement S.A. & Ors. The trucks litigation is one of the most significant follow-on damages cases being heard in the English courts”, said The Lawyer, “Lining up to defend the manufacturers from further damages are some of biggest names in litigation.”
PgD in EU Competition Law, King’s College, London
PgDL & LPC, BBP Law School
M.A. (Hons.) & M.Lit in Modern History, University of St Andrews
Solicitor, England and Wales
Admitted to the Roll of Solicitors in the Republic of Ireland
News & Press
Regarded as a leading competition expert for a number of years, Scott regularly provides comment to the leading legal press - including Global Competition Review and CDR Magazine - with the most recent examples in the respective sections below.
Scott regularly authors opinion pieces, accessible via the 'Articles' section below. In addition:
"Designing a Balanced System: Damages, Deterrence, Leniency and Litigants' Rights - A Claimant's Perspective", in 'European Competition Law Annual 2011: Integrating Public and Private Enforcement - Implications for Courts and Agencies' - Hart Publishing, 2014
"Towards a class action regime for competition litigation in the United Kingdom: an assessment of the Government's proposals" - CPI Antitrust Chronicle April 2013, co-authored with Christopher Brown, Matrix Chambers
"Latest developments in English cartel enforcement and litigation" - Oxera Agenda, 14 December 2012
"The Air Cargo Cartel - Counting the cost of conspiracy" - Competition Law Insight, 18 September 2012
"Private antitrust litigation 2011, Introduction" - Global Competition Review, 2011, co-authored with Anthony Maton
"The international handbook of private enforcement of competition law, the England & Wales chapter" - The American Antitrust Institute, 2010, co-authored with Vincent Smith and Anthony Maton
Presentations & Speeches
Scott is a regular speaker at specialist conferences such as GCR and Knect. The most recent events are listed in the dedicated ‘Events’ section below. Other conference highlights are:
- IV seminar on developments in competition litigation, Cuatrecasas, 15 November 2018
- Latest developments in collective proceedings, group and multijurisdictional claims, MLex Competition Litigation Conference in London, 14 September 2018