Lianne joined Hausfeld in 2010, shortly after its launch. Under her leadership, the Hausfeld’s commercial disputes team has grown considerably, not only in size but also in reputation.
Over her 19 years in practice, Lianne has developed a broad domestic and international disputes practice with in-depth expertise in complex commercial and competition matters across a range of sectors. She has considerable experience acting in multi-party and group claims and has carved a niche in managing large, often challenging, financial services disputes.
Much of Lianne's caseload is international or multi-jurisdictional in nature, with her experience spanning cases that have gone to trial, to applications for injunctive or other interlocutory relief, usually in the Chancery Division or Commercial Court of the High Court in England and Wales. She is also experienced in arbitration and mediation. Lianne offers advice and assistance on the enforcement of foreign judgments and arbitral awards and on obtaining evidence for use in foreign proceedings.
Prior to joining the firm, Lianne was a senior associate at Weil, Gotshal & Manges, before which she trained and qualified at Clifford Chance LLP.
Lianne acts for multinational corporations, SMEs, financial institutions, private equity and hedge fund investors and private individuals. She has a strong commitment to human rights and pro bono work and has worked pro bono for clients ranging from private individuals, to UK charities, and international NGOs.
Lianne maintains strong relationships with Magic Circle and leading City law firms as they often refer work to Hausfeld when they are conflicted. In addition, she has a wide network of legal and business contacts in the Spanish market.
She is fluent in Spanish and speaks French to an advanced level.
Broadcasters and specialist press seek Lianne out for comment on key judgments or legal developments. She is also invited to speak by leading conference organisers, such as IBA and ABA, on a regular basis.
Advises on a range of general commercial disputes arising out of issues such as breach of contract, misrepresentation and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Ventra Investments Limited - Represented the joint liquidators in a successful s.236 application against the administrative receivers.
- RBS Rights Issue Litigation, Security for Costs - Acted for a third-party funder in the RBS Rights Issue litigation, a £ multi-billion claim subject to a GLO in the High Court.
- Stuart Lunn v Cenkos Securities plc.
- Acting for the director of a Czech private equity fund in relation to claims arising out of a joint venture brought against a UK asset management company.
Shareholder disputes, including warranty claims; bondholder disputes; claims arising out of loan, structured finance and derivatives transactions and cases involving large scale fraud and mis-selling of investments.
- Graiseley Properties Limited v Barclays Bank plc - widely recognised as a “test case” for LIBOR misrepresentation claims.
- Leeds City council & Ors v Barclays Bank plc - Acting for 7 city councils which claim rescission of various Lender Option, Borrower-Option (LOBO) loans agreed with Barclays between 2005 and 2008, with a total value of several hundred million pounds, related to the bank’s manipulation of the LIBOR benchmark between 2005 and 2010.
- Ventra Investments Ltd v Bank of Scotland plc - Representing the joint liquidators of VIL in claims valuing approximately £100 million for interest rate swap mis-selling, benchmark manipulation and intermeddling in administrative receivership.
- A number of heavyweight cases arising from the collapse of Lehman Brothers*.
* Obtained at another firm
Expertise in complex commercial and competition matters across a range of sectors with considerable experience acting in multi-party and group claims.
Case highlights for competition are:
- Deutsche Bahn AG & Ors v Morgan Crucible plc & Ors.
- Part of the team which brought a claim for multiple claimants against British Airways who suffered as a result of the Air Cargo cartel.
What Others Say
Lianne has been recognised as a leading lawyer by Chambers UK for a number of years. They recognise her expertise as follows:
Department head Lianne Craig has impressive experience in banking litigation, including large claims related to benchmark manipulation and financial product mis-selling. Sources state she is a ‘hard-working, intelligent and very experienced lawyer’ who is ‘an absolute pleasure to deal with’. - Banking Litigation – Mainly Claimant, 2020
Lianne is noted for her expertise acting for claimants in high-profile and complex commercial disputes. She has particular expertise in cases relating to manipulation of benchmark interest rates and interest rate swaps. Sources say: ‘She is quite exceptional – extremely diligent, very personable and a very good lawyer.’ - Banking Litigation – Mainly Claimant, 2019
Recognition as a notable practitioner - Competition Litigation: Private Enforcement: Claimant, 2018
A well-regarded litigator who assists clients from a broad range of sectors including financial services. She also has experience of arbitration and mediation. - Competition Litigation: Private Enforcement: Claimant 2016
Who’s Who Legal
Recognised as a Global Leader for Competition Plaintiff in the 2019 edition of Who’s Who Legal ‘Global Leaders 2019’.
The Who’s Who Legal 2018 Plaintiff Chapter highlighted Lianne for her ‘exceptional performance’ noting the Hausfeld European offices as a “stand out…leading firm in the European market”.
Lianne has been recognised as a ‘Leading Individual’ for both Commercial Litigation and Banking Litigation for a number of years. Legal 500 highlights:
‘Very good, clever, commercial and user-friendly’ – Commercial Litigation, 2020
Clients love Lianne Craig's brilliant and often-inspiring style. She fights hard for her clients, but she does so with diplomacy and judgement, such that she manages the rare feat in litigation of engendering excellent relationships with those on the other side of the table – this undoubtedly means she gets a better result for her client. – Banking Litigation, 2020
‘Superb and able to project manage and implement strategy on the largest of claims.’ - Banking Litigation: Investment and Retail, 2018 & 2019
‘Experienced in assembling claimant groups.’ – Commercial Litigation, 2018 & 2019
Lianne is highly regarded and described as being ‘very calm under fire and always has workable solutions to thorny problems’. - Banking Litigation: Investment & Retail, 2018
‘Excellent lawyer.’ – Competition Litigation, 2016
LLB (Honours) with Belgian Law, University of Aberdeen, First Class Honours
Diplome en Droit Belge (Diploma in Belgian Law), Universite Libre de Bruxelles
Legal Practice Course (LPC), College of Law, Distinction
Solicitor, England and Wales, 2002
Affiliations & Memberships
International Bar Association (Litigation Committee and Law Firm Management Committee)
Commercial Litigators Forum
London Solicitors Litigation Association
Society of Scottish Lawyers in London
British Spanish Law Association
Female Partners in Private Practice
City Womens Network
News & Press
Radio, TV, quality broadsheets and the specialist press regularly seek Lianne out. She has offered her expert views on legal developments, and financial topics in particular, to:
- BBC World News
- BBC 4 Radio
- Financial News
- Legal Business
- The Economist
- The Financial Times
- The Times and Sunday Times
She spoke extensively on the issues of LIBOR manipulation, particularly in 2012, and more recently about LOBOS, the role of asset managers and investment consultants. She also offered an insight into the FX claim negotiated by our US colleagues.
Lianne regularly writes opinion pieces, accessible via the 'Articles' section below.
Presentations & Speeches
Lianne is a regular speaker at leading conferences worldwide such as the IBA, ABA, GCR, Knect. The most recent events Lianne spoke at can be found in the dedicated ‘Events’ section below. Other events include:
- “Collective Redress in Europe: coordination or conflict with international class actions” - IBA Annual Conference, October 2018
- “Shareholder Litigation - Sharing Costs and Risk” - PLSA Annual Conference and Exhibition, March 2018
- “Managing the Costs of Litigation” - CDR Summer Litigation Symposium, June 2017
- “Competition law in the financial services sector” - KNect conference, May 2017
- “Focus on the Forex market manipulation case - class actions in the US and the English courts” - Germany Investment Fund Managers Association (BVI) Seminar, March 2017