Nicola Boyle has been instrumental in developing the firm’s competition practice in London having joined Hausfeld shortly after its launch in 2009.
Nicola’s expertise lies in acting on large-scale follow-on cartel damages claims for affected businesses from across Europe, often multi-jurisdictional in nature, including most recently claims against Mastercard and Visa in London, and damages actions in a number of other European jurisdictions. She has also advised individual and multiple claimants on rights of redress in consumer and financial service claims. A keen proponent of alternative dispute resolution, she has successfully resolved a number of complex multi-party disputes outside of the courts. She has also advised on a number of regulatory investigations and judicial review proceedings.
Nicola has represented multi-nationals, private businesses and individual claimants in a wide range of disputes, in particular in the energy and financial services sectors.
She was previously at McGrigors.
Nicola has acted on a number of significant follow-on cartel damages claims on behalf of claimants from across Europe and a number of which have helped develop the law in this area. Most notably:
- Claims against Mastercard in relation to interchange fees on both cross‐border and domestic transactions in 18 European countries on behalf of over 1000 operating entities in 8 corporate groups. Nicola led the Hausfeld legal team in proceedings which spanned claims in both the High Court and Competition Tribunal including a preliminary issue trial and interlocutory appeals to the Court of Appeal on issues of applicable law and relation back.
- Representing vertical search engine Foundem in its claim against Google for abuse of dominance in relation to comparison shopping services.
- Acting for a UK retailer in claims in the High Court against manufacturers of Copper Tubes and Copper Fittings.
- Acting for a cross-European group of candle manufacturers and other wax purchasers in follow-on claims against paraffin wax producers.
- Acting for a group of poultry producers in claims brought in the Competition Appeal Tribunal relating to price-fixing of feed phosphates and methionine.
- Assisting clients in settlement dialogues in portfolio cartel claims arising from decisions of the European Commission and number of domestic competition authorities.
What Others Say
Chambers UK continues to rank Nicola as a leading lawyer and has done so for a number of consecutive years: "Nicola Boyle handles UK follow-on damages cases for large claimant groups. She has a wider practice that extends to the defence of complainants' interests in CJEU appeals against EC decisions." - Competition Law: Private Enforcement: Claimant, 2020
Nicola Boyle acts for a number of international companies on claims for damages arising from cartel and abuse of dominance decisions. She has represented clients before the competition authorities in several European countries. Interviewees say: ‘Nicola is excellent at getting everything done and making sure things work smoothly’. - Competition Law: Private Enforcement: Claimant, 2019, Chambers Europe 2019 and Chambers Global Guide 2019
Nicola is an excellent lawyer and a real fighter for her clients. She spots problems in advance and shows how to deal with them. - Competition Law: Private Enforcement: Claimant, 2018
Nicola is regarded an expert in damages claims with experience in the financial services and industrial sectors. Clients describe her as ‘very hands-on, knows the cases well and has a good eye for detail’. – Competition Litigation: Competition Law Private Enforcement: Claimant, 2017
Nicola Boyle has been highlighted as a notable practitioner in the field. Nicola has that rare quality of being able to grasp every detail of a case whilst still maintaining a clear strategic overview. she is an experienced top-quality litigator who combines expert competition knowledge with a sound, pragmatic approach. - Competition Litigation: Competition Law Private Enforcement: Claimant, 2016
Legal 500 mentions Nicola Boyle as ‘highly recommended’. - Competition Litigation, 2020
‘An excellent legal mind’ - Competition Litigation, 2019
Nicola is acknowledged for acting as co-counsel for numerous entities in the interchange fee litigation. – Competition Litigation 2018
‘Enthusiastic and highly competent litigator.’ – Competition Litigation, 2015
Who’s Who Legal
Nicola Boyle is an acclaimed competition plaintiff expert in the European market. She wins recommendations from her peers and clients for her practice, which focuses on representing groups in follow-on cartel damage matters. – Global Leader 2019, Competition Plaintiffs
Nicola was mentioned among ‘Thought Leaders Global Elite’ in the 2019 edition of Who’s Who Legal Thought Leaders – Competition 2019’.
Nicola was mentioned for her ‘exceptional performance’ in the ‘Who’s Who Legal 2018 Plantiffs Chapter’, calling the European offices “stand out…leading firm in the European market”.
Legal Practice Course, Nottingham Law School
LLM (focusing on EU environmental law), University of Birmingham
LLB (Honours), University of Birmingham
B.A., University of Birmingham
Solicitor, England and Wales
Affiliations & Memberships
The Law Society of England & Wales
Nicola previously taught an undergraduate course in European law at the University of Birmingham.
She also participated in the Competition Appeal Tribunal working group on the implementation of the UK Consumer Rights Act and the European Damages Directive.
Nicola regularly authors publications which are accessible via the respective sections below.