Our commitment to racial justice
At Hausfeld, achieving racial justice, inclusivity, and equity is core to our values. We list some examples of how we live out our values, both through our legal work and within the firm internally.
Advancing causes through casework
Hausfeld attorneys have represented victims of apartheid in South Africa, black Americans persecuted in the Tulsa race riots and their survivors, as well as plaintiffs in a racial-bias discrimination case against Texaco, Inc., among other civil rights and pro bono cases. Today, the firm continues to fight for victims of deeply-ingrained inequities, including taking on intersectional challenges like climate change litigation and advocacy.
For over a decade, we have supported the Mid-Atlantic Innocence Project, which seeks to exonerate innocent convicted individuals, who are disproportionately persons of color. In addition we ran a significant donation and employee matching program for the Equal Justice Initiative, the National Urban League, and the NAACP’s Legal Defense and Education Fund, with ultimate donations over $50,000. The firm has also joined the Law Firm Anti-Racism Alliance (LFAA), a group with the strategic goal of changing the way institutions deal with racial inequality.
In collaboration with the Tower Hamlets Education Business Partnership, we have worked with students of underprivileged backgrounds in London with the aim of increasing social mobility in the profession.
Change comes from within
In the US, Hausfeld achieved Mansfield Rule Certification Plus in Diversity Lab’s inaugural Midsize Certification cohort. Diversity Lab’s Mansfield Rule for Midsize Firms is an innovative national initiative modeled after the original Mansfield Rule, committing the firm to consider an intentionally broad and diverse pool of candidates when selecting leaders for positions within the firm, hiring entry-level and lateral attorneys, positioning lawyers for case leadership roles, and forming teams for client pitches.
We also have a 1L Diversity Fellowship Program in which a 1L law student from a historically underrepresented background participates in the US summer associate program and receives a $10,000 scholarship toward the student’s law school costs.
Our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committees have facilitated:
- a series of mandatory trainings, including anti-bias and diversity, equity & inclusion training for all management, attorneys, and staff.
- a global “Unconscious Bias” training for employees across all Hausfeld’s offices, conducted by diversity expert Michelle Silverthorn, the author of “Authentic Diversity: How to Change the Workplace for Good” and the CEO of Inclusion Nation.
- education initiatives on racial justice issues and anti-racism in connection with the firm’s recognition of Juneteenth and the UK’s Black History Month.
- a firm-wide talk by Tracy O'Brien from the Race Equality Group in the UK who discussed the silences and shortcomings in the way that Black British History has been portrayed, and what can be done to change this for the better.
- local book club initiatives to discuss books purchased for employees around themes of black lives matter, racial justice, feminism, bias against women and what we can do to constantly improve our environment.
Our work on racial justice is far from done, and there is a long way to go. But with our collective commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, we will continue to strive for improvement and work towards a more just world.