Swathi's career has spanned a wide range of practice areas at Hausfeld. From initial case investigations through trial, she has represented the firm’s clients in all aspects of litigation. Her work has encompassed some of the highest-profile class action sports and antitrust cases in recent years, and she has been involved in the recovery of over $3 billion in settlement awards on behalf of the firm’s clients.
Prior to joining Hausfeld, Swathi worked on several presidential campaigns and in the U.S. Senate, both for then-Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton and as a law clerk to the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee.
Swathi has litigated a variety of other cases across the legal spectrum, securing favorable results for her clients. In the antitrust realm, she has represented clients in the health insurance, transportation, and financial services sectors seeking to recover damages from price-fixing and market allocation cartels. As an avid sports fan, Swathi has relished the opportunity to represent current and former athletes as they seek fair treatment for the dedication they put into the game.
Swathi has also represented numerous financial institutions across the country who have suffered damages as a result of data breaches at retailers including Target, Home Depot, Kmart, and Wendy’s. Through her work on these cases, she has developed an expertise in data breach law and card brand recovery processes, and has helped to design and implement unique settlement frameworks in this developing area of law.
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2011
Brown University, B.A., Human Biology & Public Policy, 2007
District of Columbia
District Court for the District of Columbia
District Court for the Southern District of New York
Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
Member, Law360 Sports Editorial Advisory Board (2019)
Member, Brown University Women’s Leadership Council (2016-present)
Changing Perceptions, Board of Directors (2016-present)
Clerk, U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee
Chair, Brown University Alumni Interviewing Program, Washington, D.C. (2012-present)
Managing Editor, Georgetown Journal of Law and Public Policy (2010-2011)
Prior member of Georgetown Law’s Institute for Public Representation, a civil rights clinic, where she worked on Title VII litigation in the D.C. District Court.
Brown University Women’s Leadership Council and prior D.C. Area Co-Chair for the school’s admissions interviewing program.
Prior member, Board of Directors for the D.C. non-profit Changing Perceptions, which focuses on providing professional and personal support to formerly incarcerated citizens.
WHAT OTHERS SAY
American Antitrust Institute
- Outstanding Antitrust Litigation Achievement in Private Law Practice, an honor she received three times:
- As part of the In re Blue Cross Blue Shield Antitrust Litigation case team in 2021
- As part of the In re Municipal Derivatives Antitrust Litigation case team in 2016
- As part of the O’Bannon v. NCAA case team in 2015
- 40 & Under List in 2023
Global Competition Review
- Litigation of the Year - Cartel Prosecution in 2021: an honor she received as part of the In re Blue Cross Blue Shield Antitrust Litigation case team.
- Litigation of the Year - Non-Cartel Prosecution in 2015: an honor she received as part of the O’Bannon v. NCAA case team.
- Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyer since 2020
Litigation Counsel of America
- Selected Fellow since 2019
- Rising Star, Antitrust Litigation in Washington, DC since 2016
- Rising Star Under 40, Sports Law by Law360 in 2016
- Minority Business Leader by The Washington Business Journal in 2016 - an honor held for the top 25 Greater Washington leaders who embody entrepreneurial drive, creativity and success in business.
- Litigation of the Year - Non-Cartel Prosecution: an honor she received by the Global Competition Review as part of the O’Bannon v. NCAA case team in 2015.
Swathi's other publications include:
- "Consumers Strike Out: Time Warner Cable Defeats Challenge to Rate Hikes for Unwanted Sports Content," Trade, Sports & Professional Associations Newsletter (Spring 2015), Author
- "Going to Trial as an Associate," ABA Trial Practice Committee: Trying Antitrust Newsletter (Fall 2015), Author
- "Is Major League Baseball’s Antitrust Exemption in Jeopardy?" ABA Antitrust Section Media & Technology E-Bulletin, Vol. 1, Iss. 3 (2013), Author
- "The NFLPA’s Potential Legal Liability to Former Players for Traumatic Brain Injury," Concussions Litigation Reporter, Vol. 1, No. 1 (2012), Co-Author with Michael D. Hausfeld
- "Robinson-Patman Compliance: A New Era", ABA Antitrust Spring Meeting (March 29, 2023), Panelist
- “To Favor or Not to Favor MFNs”, ABA Section of Antitrust Law (Oct. 18, 2022), Panelist
- “Antitrust: A Day in the Life (Reprisal)”, ABA Section of Antitrust Law (June 30, 2022), Panelist
- “Anatomy of Antitrust Litigation III: Summary Judgment”, ABA Section of Antitrust Law (June 23, 2022), Panelist
- Mock Trial, ABA Antitrust Law Spring Meeting (Apr. 7, 2022)
- "Litigation Strategy After Amex," ABA Section of Antitrust Law (Nov. 6, 2020), Panelist
- "Practicing as a Sports Lawyer: Antitrust and Beyond," ABA Section of Antitrust Law – Trade, Sports and Professional Associations Committee Virtual Panel (July 9, 2020), Moderator
- "Practicing as a Sports Lawyer: Antitrust and Beyond," ABA Section of Antitrust Law – Trade, Sports and Professional Associations Committee Panel (Sept. 5, 2019), Moderator
- "Uncommon Law: An Alumni Conversation," Brown University Alumni Association Panel (July 23, 2019)
- Speaker, "Inside O'Bannon v. NCAA," Legal Talk Network podcast (Oct. 21, 2015), Panelist
- "Preparing for an Antitrust Trial as an Associate," ABA Section of Antitrust Law (Aug. 24, 2015), Speaker
- "The Sports Report: Sports, Consumer Protection and Antitrust – What’s Hot in 2015!," ABA Trade, Sports and Professional Associations (June 16, 2015), Speaker