Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), Hausfeld LLP (“Hausfeld,” “we,” “our,” or “us”) is required to provide any California resident who is our job applicant or employee with a notice related to “personal information” we collect about you. This notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to “personal information” that is subject to the CCPA.
Categories of Personal Information We Collect and Disclose. We collect and disclose the following categories of personal information about our job applicants and employees who are California residents:
- Personal and online identifiers (such as first and last name, Social Security number, driver’s license number, log-in credentials, email address, or unique online identifiers);
- Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law (such as race, sex, or gender);
- Internet or other electronic network activity information (such as interactions with a website, email, or application);
- Professional and employment-related information (such as resume, prior experience, certifications and licenses, salary information, and work authorization status);
- Geolocation information (such as address);
- Audiovisual information (such as audio or video collected through recordings);
- Other professional or employment-related information;
- Education information (such as your education history and transcripts); and
- Other information about you that is linked to the personal information above.
Some of the information described above is defined as “sensitive personal information” under the CCPA. We do not use or disclose sensitive personal information for purposes other than those specified in the CCPA.
Categories of Sources. As permitted by law, we may collect personal information about job applicants and employees from the following categories of sources:
- Employment references;
- Recruiters, including individuals who refer you to Hausfeld;
- Service providers, including web hosting services and relationship management platforms;
- Social media companies;
- Educational institutions;
- Background check providers; and
- Consumer reporting agencies.
Categories of Third Parties to Which We Disclose Personal Information. We may disclose the personal information we collect to the following categories of recipients:
- Service providers. We disclose the personal information we collect to our service providers, such as those who help us manage the application process.
- Recruiters. We may disclose personal information to recruiters, such as to convey the status of your application.
- Employment references. We may disclose personal information to references, such as to confirm the information you provided to us.
- Background check providers. As legally permitted, we may disclose personal information to background check providers to obtain a background check.
- Government entities. As legally required, we may provide personal information to government entities.
We do not sell the personal information we collect about job applicants and employees or share such information for targeted advertising purposes.
How We Use Job Applicants’ and Employees’ Personal Information. We use and disclose the personal information we collect about job applicants and employees for our commercial and business purposes to the categories of recipients listed above. Our commercial and business purposes include, without limitation:
- Processing, evaluating, and communicating with you about your application, including to check references and communicate with you about other jobs that may interest you.
- As required to perform the employment contract, to maintain or terminate the employment relationship or contract and to enable you to perform your job, including hiring and administration of payroll and benefits.
- Other business purposes as identified in the CCPA, which include:
- Auditing related to our interactions with you;
- Legal compliance;
- Detecting and protecting against security incidents, fraud, and illegal activity;
- Performing services (for us or our service provider) such as analytics;
- Internal research for technological improvement;
- Internal operations, including complying with our reporting obligations;
- Activities to maintain and improve our business; and
- Other one-time uses.
How Long We Retain Personal Information. If you are hired, Hausfeld will keep personal information about you for the duration of your employment with us and as otherwise required by law. If your application is not successful, we may retain and use your personal information for a further fixed period in accordance with our record retention protocols in order to consider you for other job opportunities where permitted by applicable law and/or for as long as necessary to comply with legal record retention requirements.
Your Rights. As a California resident, you have certain rights under the CCPA related to personal information we collect about you. You may be able to exercise the following rights, subject to certain exceptions and limitations:
- The right to know the categories and specific pieces of personal information we collect, use, and disclose about you, the categories of sources from which we collected personal information about you, our purposes for collecting or disclosing personal information, and the categories of third parties with which we have disclosed personal information;
- The right to request that we delete the personal information we have collected from you.
- The right to correct inaccurate personal information we maintain about you.
- The right not to receive discriminatory treatment for the exercise of the privacy rights conferred by the CCPA.
To exercise any of the above rights, please contact us using the following information and submit the verifying information, as further described below:
- By email at email@example.com
- By post to the Data Manager, Hausfeld LLP, 888 16th Street, NW, Suite 300, Washington DC 20006, USA.
- Request Form to Access, Delete, or Correct Personal Information of a California Resident
Verification Process and Required Information. In some cases, we may need to request additional information from you to verify your identity or understand the scope of your request. Generally, we verify your identity by matching the information provided in your request with the information we maintain in our records. We will require you to provide, at a minimum, your name and email address.
Authorized Agent. You may designate an authorized agent to submit a CCPA request on your behalf by designating such an agent in writing or through a power of attorney. We will require the agent to provide us with proof that you have authorized the agent to make requests on your behalf prior to accepting requests from the agent.
Contact Us. For questions or concerns about our privacy practices, please contact us by email to firstname.lastname@example.org