Richard is a leader in the mass tort bar and chairs the firm’s mass torts and environmental threats practice groups. Rich has been at the forefront of some of the most high-profile mass torts, public health and environmental cases in the U.S. and around the world. He is dedicated to bringing justice to those exposed to toxic chemicals, unsafe working conditions, and unsafe drugs.
Over the course of his career, Rich has represented clients facing a broad array of public health injuries caused by corporate negligence including lead poisoned children, diseased and injured miners, student athletes, NFL football players, farmers, pharmaceutical drug and medical device patients, communities and workers exposed to toxic chemicals, state attorneys general, city officials and municipalities trying to protect the public health.
University of Pennsylvania, J.D., cum laude, 1986
University of Michigan, M.P.H., 1981
Tufts University, B.A., cum laude, 1976
District of Columbia
Comments Editor, University of Pennsylvania Law Review
Law clerk (post law school), for the Honorable Stanley S. Brotman, U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- "Public Nuisance Litigation," Congressional Staff Briefing at the GMU Law & Economics Center (Nov. 2019)
- "Effectiveness of Settlements," The Perrin Conferences' Mass Tort Global Settlement Architecture Conference (May 2019)
- "Children’s rights and climate change," El Tiempo (2019)
- "Class certification of the Silicosis case in South Africa," BBC Radio (2016)
- "Hearing on consolidation of NCAA concussion lawsuits," USA Today (2013)
- "Manassas Park Woman Sues Drug Company Over Breast Cancer," Washington Post (2010)
- "Prempro cancer case," Fox News, (2009)
WHAT OTHERS SAY
- Shortlisted, Innovative Lawyers Award in the Access to Justice category, for his work in the Silicosis litigation in South Africa.
- The Green 500: Leaders in Environmental Law - Plaintiff Environmental Litigation & Justice 2023
- Hall of Fame 2022
- Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers 2022
- Leading Environmental & Energy Lawyer in 2021
- Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyer since 2019