Sofie is a dual-qualified Senior Associate who has significant cross-border experience working on both competition and commercial disputes.
Sofie has advised on many complex contentious proceedings across a broad range of business sectors, involving both English, Australian and foreign law, and including proceedings that cross multiple jurisdictions.
Prior to joining Hausfeld, Sofie practiced as an Associate in magic circle firm Slaughter and May’s disputes and investigations team in London for 2.5 years. She predominately worked on high profile and high value commercial, regulatory and competition litigation in the England & Wales High Court and Competition Appeal Tribunal, for which she was often lead Associate.
Sofie commenced her legal career at international top-tier firm King & Wood Mallesons in Australia, where she completed their eighteen-month Graduation Program. She then qualified in their commercial litigation department where she spent over 3 years working on several significant and market-leading cases across multiple Australian jurisdictions and Courts, including cases heard in Australia’s highest appellant court.
Sofie has worked for clients in several sectors, mainly for financial institutions, but also has significant experience in aviation, travel, government, manufacturing and telecommunications.
Diploma of Legal Practice, College of Laws, Australia
Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Business (Economics)(Distinction), Queensland University of Technology (QUT), Australia
Sofie has been awarded several academic prizes, including:
- Winner of two academic prizes for achieving the top place in two separate subjects.
- Alumni member of the QUT School of Excellence
- Awarded the QUT Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship in 2008
Admitted to practice as a solicitor in England & Wales, 2021
Licensed to practice as a solicitor in the Supreme Court of New South Wales, 2017
Admitted as a legal practitioner of the Supreme Court of Queensland, 2014
Admitted as a legal practitioner of the High Court of Australia, 2014
Member - the Law Society of New South Wales
Member - the Law Society of England & Wales
Member of the Anglo-Australasian Lawyers Society, UK branch
At Hausfeld, Sofie is part of the legal team which:
- Filed an opt-out collective action with the CAT on behalf of an estimated 19.5 million eligible UK users of smartphones and tablets running on Google’s Android operating system relating to excessive and unlawful charges on purchase in the Google Play App Store. The claim alleges that Google unfairly restricts consumers from accessing potential competition from other app distributors, by requiring smartphone manufacturers to pre-install a bundle of Google’s proprietary apps and services including the Google Play Store as well as imposing other contractual and technical restrictions.
- A representative collective action filed with the CAT on behalf of the Consumers’ Association (known as Which?) against Qualcomm on behalf of a class of around 29 million UK consumers alleging that Qualcomm abuses its dominance in the markets for smartphone chipsets and standard essential patents, the result of which is that Qualcomm is able to overcharge smartphone manufacturers like Apple and Samsung for its technology. Damages are estimated to be over £480 million.
Prior to joining Hausfeld, Sofie worked on a wide range of competition matters in multiple jurisdictions. Her experience includes:
- Defending a major financial institution in relation to multiple high profile and high value damages claims in the High Court of England & Wales (brought by more than one hundred major investment funds, hedge funds and pension funds, against several leading international banks) and in two competing applications for a collective proceedings order before the Competition Appeal Tribunal. These proceedings all relate to prior high-profile investigations conducted by various regulators worldwide.
- Defending a major transport provider on the first standalone proposed collective proceedings brought before the Competition Appeal Tribunal.
- Advising a major UK plc trading in the manufacturing section on multiple follow-on actions arising out of a finding of infringement by a European competition authority.
- Acting for Flight Centre Limited in a legally novel competition litigation dispute with argued penalties of many millions of dollars with the Australian competition regulator, which ultimately was determined by the Australian High Court (the highest appellant court).
Commercial & Financial Disputes
Sofie’s commercial disputes experience so far includes:
- Advising an international broadcaster on their on-going commercial and strategic relationship with an international sporting body relating to their broadcasting and contractual rights in light of COVID-19.
- Advising a large car manufacturer on a business critical contractual dispute.
- Acting for a major airline to pursue a trademark contractual dispute against another major airline.
- Advising a UK plc trading in the retail sector on an internal investigation into whistle-blower allegations in relation to bribery and corruption.
- Advising a market leading fintech company on a contractual dispute with a major banking group.
- Advising a major international regulated financial institution on investigations into regulatory obligations and alleged instances of bribery, corruption and/or other improper practices.
- Strategically advising a global resources company on a potential class action.
- Advising a large UK insurance underwriter on a dispute in relation to a Joint Venture contract.
- Acting for a major Australian financial services provider in relation to various aspects and hearings that arose from the Australian Royal Commission into the Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry.
- Assisting General Purpose Liquidators to locate and examine, under the Corporations Insolvency regime, various directors of a substantial mining company, including advising on many aspects of cross-border searches, warrants and preparations for the examinations more generally.
- Defending two major financial funders including one based in the United Kingdom on a large-scale project funding dispute for an estimated quantum of approximately AUD400 million.
- Defending an American owned UK-based software development client to defend an approximately AUD20 million action brought by a major oil company in New South Wales.
- Advising on discrete matters for a large Queensland natural resources company in an international arbitration involving a complex multi-million-dollar contractual dispute.
- Advising a major resources company on taxation and royalties judicial review applications for by example approximately AUD300 million payable to the Queensland government.
- Acting for the main defendant on the then largest class action by damages sought in Australian history of approximately AUD1 billion, following extensive flooding that occurred in 2011.
- Advising a large-scale American company on the defence of a misleading and deceptive conduct claim by Australian shareholders for approximately AUD50 million.
- Working on proceedings pursued by a large telecommunications company against the local government which included aspects of property law, taxation law and constitutional law, the result of which being legislation was found to be discriminatory and void.