Timothy S. Kearns
Timothy has substantial experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants, providing him with greater insight into the benefits and risks that matter most to clients. His experience encompasses a varied practice of antitrust litigation, securities litigation, commodities litigation, and other complex commercial litigation. His efforts have helped his clients recover more than $2.5 billion in settlements.
Timothy regularly handles matters involving complex financial instruments and heads the firm’s investigation of matters under securities and commodities laws.
Timothy’s clients include individual investors, investment funds, and multinational corporations. His dedication to helping clients realistically assess their options before and throughout litigation and his tenacity in securing a result, through appeal if necessary, help to ensure exceptional outcomes for his clients.
- MTB Investment Partners, LP v. Siemens Hearing Instruments, Inc. – Timothy secured a securities fraud settlement that returned more than 115% of recognized losses after attorneys’ fees and expenses to former shareholders in HearUSA, Inc.
- Timothy secured two favorable settlements for an Asian bank in litigation arising out of the bank’s investment in collateralized debt obligations.
- Timothy has represented whistleblowers and qui tam plaintiffs in confidential actions asserting wrongdoing by financial institutions.
- In re Foreign Exchange Benchmark Rates Antitrust Litigation – Timothy represents market participants in the foreign exchange market against international banks alleged to have fixed the price of foreign exchange instruments.
- Precision Associates, Inc. v. Panalpina World Transport (Holding) Ltd. – Timothy represented two corporate defendants against allegations of antitrust violations within the global freight forwarding industry.
- Doe v. Indian River School District - prior to joining Hausfeld – Timothy represented Jewish families alleging discrimination in Delaware public schools, ultimately securing appellate unanimous reversal of the district court’s decision upholding school board prayer practices and denial of certiorari by the United States Supreme Court.
What Others Say
- The Legal 500 described Timothy as a “heavyweight practitioner” in Antitrust (2018)
- Super Lawyers magazine named Timothy a “Rising Star” in Antitrust Litigation (2016), and Securities Litigation (2014-15)
- Global Competition Review has honored one of Timothy’s cases, In re Foreign Exchange Benchmark Rates Antitrust Litigation, with the “Cartel Prosecution of the Year” award (2016)
Cornell Law School, J.D., 2006
Iowa State University, B.A., 2003
District of Columbia
United States District Court for the District of Delaware
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
Affiliations & Memberships
Member, American Bar Association
Member, American Constitution Society
Member, Society for American Baseball Research
News & Press
"Plaintiffs Bar Perspective: Hausfeld's Timothy Kearns", Law360 (March 15, 2017)
"The Chair, the Needle, and the Damage Done: What the Electric Chair and the Rebirth of the Method-of-Execution Challenge Could Mean for the Future of the Eighth Amendment," Cornell Journal of Law and Public Policy, 2006