Simon Bishop specialises in commercial litigation with a focus on disputes in the financial services sector.
Before training as a solicitor, Simon worked in derivatives and structured products for some of the world’s most prominent financial services institutions, including Morgan Stanley and State Street. The technical and industry knowledge gained during that time unquestionably benefits his clients. Having been in-house, he also appreciates the commercial pressures and competitive business climate.
As a solicitor, Simon has advised on dozens of disputes relating to interest rate derivatives, bank support units, financial benchmark manipulation, banking fraud, and general commercial matters. Simon has represented clients in various Courts in England and Wales, including the Chancery and Queen’s Bench Divisions of the High Court, and the Court of Appeal. He is also experienced in alternative dispute resolution, particularly mediation and arbitration (under various rules). During his training, he volunteered at various pro bono clinics and the Citizens Advice Bureau.
His clients include hedge fund managers, small and medium-sized enterprises, publicly listed companies, firms of solicitors, insolvency office holders and lobbying groups.
- Was the lead associate acting for one of the third-party funders in the high-profile RBS Rights Issue Litigation.
- Acted for the claimants in PremierMotorAuctions v PwC and Lloyds.
- Was the lead associate in Flanagan v Liontrust, the leading case on the operation of the doctrine of repudiation on LLP agreements.
- Has acted for various insolvency office holders in contested applications pursuant to the provisions of the Insolvency Act 1986.
- Has acted in dozens of general commercial disputes relating to breaches of contract, intellectual property, partnership agreements, and various forms of finance and financial-hedging.
Currently, he is:
- Lead associate in a multi-million-pound shareholder action.
- Lead associate in an arbitration under the LME Rules relating to multi-million-dollar dispute arising from a breach of contract for the purchase of metal ore.
- Lead associate in a significant cross-border group action involving European consumers.
- Was the lead associate in Ventra Investments Limited v Bank of Scotland Plc.
- Was the lead associate in dozens of disputes relating to interest rate hedging, foreign exchange hedging, banking fraud, and banking misconduct.
- Acted for the claimants in Stuart Wall v RBS.
- Acted in Flanagan v Liontrust, relating to the LLP structure of a significant asset management organisation.
Currently, Simon is working on complex financial services claims with an international dimension, relating to:
- The manipulation of the LIBOR and EURIBOR interest rate benchmarks.
- Cross-border investor claims relating to bank guarantees.
- Financial mis-selling to large companies and institutional investors.
What Others Say
Senior associate Simon Bishop has a burgeoning litigation practice, with notable experience assisting with claims related to the mis-selling of financial products and benchmark manipulation. "He's very smart and has an exceptional eye for detail - he is completely on top of every aspect of a case." "He is both client- and business-orientated, has excellent communication skills and offers clear strategic vision." "A very able litigator." - Banking Litigation – Mainly Claimant, Chambers UK 2021
Legal 500 UK
‘Senior associate Simon Bishop is extremely bright and has an exceptional eye for detail. He remains calm under pressure and is a real team player. He has consistently impressed me with his legal analysis and is probably the best non-partner solicitor I have ever worked with.' - Banking Litigation: Investment and Retail, 2021
'Simon Bishop is a great thinker and strategist' and is 'unusually easy to deal with and always works hard.' - Banking Litigation: Investment and Retail, 2021
'Has fantastic knowledge of financial products and banking processes'. - Banking Litigation: Investment and Retail, 2021
Simon Bishop is recognised as a 'key member'. - Banking Litigation: Investment and Retail, 2020
LLB (Hons) Law, University of Law
Legal Practice Course, University of Law
Graduate Diploma in Law, University of Law
BA (Hons) Philosophy and English Literature, The University of Sussex
Solicitor, England & Wales, 2013
Affiliations & Memberships
Member - Financial Services Lawyers Association
Contributor - All-Party Parliamentary Group on Fair Business Banking