Melinda R. Coolidge
Melinda represents Fortune 200 companies and classes of direct and indirect purchasers of products that have been the subject of antitrust violations across the globe. She has litigated complex class actions through the hurdles of class certification, summary judgment, and trial. In her cases, clients and classes she represents have obtained more than $1 billion in settlements, and in one recent case, a 9-0 victory in the U.S. Supreme Court. She proudly works to ensure private enforcement of the country’s antitrust laws and to ensure free and open markets.
Melinda has represented clients in the pharmaceutical, agricultural, industrial gas, auto parts, and rail freight and air cargo industries. She represents companies listed in the Fortune 200, as well as classes of direct and indirect purchasers of products impacted by antitrust violations.
Antitrust / Competition
- In re Rail Freight Fuel Surcharge Antitrust Litigation – Represents large corporations that directly purchased rail freight shipping services from BNSF, CSX, Norfolk Southern, and Union Pacific in their claims for damages stemming from the alleged rail freight cartel in the early 2000s.
- In re Automotive Parts Antitrust Litigation – Represents various car manufacturers and other OEMs, working to recover damages incurred from the massive worldwide auto parts cartel. The cartel has resulted in over 80 guilty pleas in the United States, and fines and decisions by regulatory authorities around the world.
- In re Thalomid and Revlimid Antitrust Litigation – Represents a class of end-payors of Thalomid and Revlimid in antitrust litigation against Celgene (settled for $34 million, pending court approval), and In re Zymar and Zymaxid Litigation, representing a class of direct purchasers of two eye medications against Allergan, Kyorin, and Senju.
- Haff Poultry, Inc. et al. v. Tyson Foods, Inc. et al. and Haff Poultry, Inc. et al. v. Koch Foods, Inc. et al.— Represents a class of poultry growers alleging a nationwide conspiracy among vertically-integrated poultry companies to suppress and maintain compensation for growing services below competitive levels.
- In re Air Cargo Antitrust Litigation – Represented freight forwarders and other direct purchasers of air cargo shipping services against a worldwide price-fixing cartel, in which her clients and the class recovered over $1 billion in settlements.
- In re Vitamin C Antitrust Litigation – In 2013, Melinda served on the trial team for the plaintiff class at trial in this case which secured a trebled jury verdict of $162 million against Chinese vitamin C manufacturer defendants. On appeal, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled 9-0 in favor of Hausfeld’s clients, creating an important precedent for any transnational litigation where U.S. victims’ rights are threatened by interpretations of foreign law and international comity principles.
Deceptive Business Practices and Consumer Protection
- In re Prempro Products Liability Litigation – Served as primary brief writer on liability issues and represented dozens of women in a mass tort action against Pfizer and Wyeth over their hormone replacement therapy and links to breast cancer.
What Others Say
The Legal 500 honored Melinda as a “Next Generation Lawyer" in Antitrust – Civil Litigation/Class Actions: Plaintiff (2019-Present), and has listed her as a “Recommended Attorney” (2017-Present)
"Melinda Coolidge and Scott Martin go above and beyond at all hours to provide the best level of customer service. They are always there with an explanation." (The Legal 500, 2020)
"Brian Ratner and Melinda Coolidge are both first class. They are personable, knowledgeable and deliver results." (The Legal 500, 2020)
Melinda was named a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers for Antitrust Litigation five years in a row (2014-2019) and has been named a DC Super Lawyer (2020)
Lawdragon named Melinda as one of its "Top Plaintiff Financial Lawyers" (2019)
Global Competition Review honored her case team for their work on the Vitamin C cartel class action, with the award for “Litigation of the Year – Cartel Prosecution” (2019)
Global Competition Review has named Melinda one of the “Top 100 Women in Antitrust,” and the National Law Journal has called her an “Antitrust Trailblazer” (2016)
Melinda’s cases have twice been honored by the American Antitrust Institute for “Outstanding Antitrust Litigation Achievement in Private Law Practice” – once for In re Air Cargo Antitrust Litigation (2016) and again for In re Vitamin C Antitrust Litigation (2018)
- The Legal 500 has previously named Melinda a “Rising Star” in Antitrust – Cartel Enforcement, and Law360 named her a “Rising Star” as well in the Class Actions category (2015)
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., cum laude, 2008; Former editor of the Georgetown Journal of Gender and the Law
Tufts University, B.A., magna cum laude, 2003
District of Columbia
United States District Court for the District of Columbia
United States District Court for the District of Maryland
United States District Court for the Western District of New York
United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
United States Supreme Court
Affiliations & Memberships
Member, American Bar Association - International Cartel Task Force
Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America (2016)
News & Press
“Number of price-fixing lawsuits filed against CSX, other railroads jumps to 266,” Jacksonville Business Journal (March 2, 2020)
“Vitamin C Purchasers Win Unanimous Supreme Court Victory in Decade-Long Antitrust Litigation,” AP News (June 14, 2018)
“Law360 Names Attys Who Moved Up The Firm Ranks In Q1,” Law360 (April 15, 2015)
“The Class of 2014,” Global Competition Review (Mar. 5, 2015)
“At Some D.C. Firms, More Women than Men Make Partner,” The National Law Journal (Jan. 19, 2015)
Co-author, “The Federal Trade Commission Slams Impax/Endo Reverse Payment Settlement,” Hausfeld Competition Bulletin (Spring 2019), reprinted in Lexology
William P. Butterfield, Conor R. Crowley, Melinda R. Coolidge, “Diving Deeper to Catch Bigger Fish,” DESI III Conference, June 2009
Presentations & Speeches
Panel Speaker, "Cartels Hit the Kitchen Table," ABA Section of Antitrust Law (May 28, 2020)
Guest Speaker, "What is the Secret Sauce Behind Developing a Complaint?" ABA Section of Antitrust Law’s weekly podcast, Our Curious Amalgam (September 18, 2019)
Panel Speaker, "Antitrust Issues in Private Enforcement Actions Against Agricultural Industries," AAI 11th Annual Private Antitrust Enforcement Conference (November 7, 2017)
Panel Speaker, “Did the enforcers go bananas in Dole v. Commission? What are the boundaries of cartel conduct - and why does it matter?” GCR Live Cartels (April 5, 2016)
Panel Speaker, "Antitrust Claims: Class Actions and Opting Out,” AAJ Annual Convention (July 26-29, 2014)