Kio specialises in competition litigation, data protection claims and commercial disputes.
In addition to representing clients in large scale competition disputes with Big Tech corporations, Kio is currently part of the legal team advising:
- Duncan McCann in his representative action on behalf of affected children and parents against Google for various data breaches on the YouTube platform, the UK’s first representative data breach action of its kind.
- Justin Gutmann in his competition collective claim against various train operators for abuses of their dominant positions, the UK’s first standalone competition collective claim of its kind.
In addition to various commercial and pro bono matters, Kio was part of the legal team acting for over 100 claimants in the Air Cargo litigation against British Airways in the High Court and Court of Appeal.
Prior to joining Hausfeld, Kio trained at Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP and undertook a 3-month competition secondment in Brussels.
Kio has experience representing clients on a range of antitrust, competition and data protection issues across a variety of sectors, including technology, utilities and transport.
Kio played a key role as part of the legal teams dealing with some of the ground breaking competition follow on damages claims brought:
- Air Cargo - Hausfeld pursued claims for losses that occurred in over 50 different jurisdictions as a result of the Air Cargo Cartel, ultimately representing 500 claimant entities, including a significant number of multinationals against British Airways plc, and 13 Part 20 Defendant Airlines in some of the longest running, most high-profile and complex competition damages actions brought to date in the English Courts.
- Google Shopping - Kio is part of the team representing Foundem in its claim before the High Court against Google, for abuse of its dominant position in respect of its conduct in comparison shopping. In addition, Hausfeld obtained permission to intervene in Google’s ongoing appeal of the European Commission’s June 2017 Google Search (Shopping) Decision for four Hausfeld clients, Infederation Ltd (Foundem), German press publishers’ associations VDZ and BDZV as well as Visual Meta GmbH.
- Trains - The first standalone collective action to be filed in the UK. Hausfeld filed a claim on behalf of millions of rail passengers in the Competition Appeal Tribunal against the operators of the South Western and Southeastern rail franchises. The opt-out, collective action is being led by Justin Gutmann, formerly of Citizens Advice and an experienced campaigner on consumer issues.
MA in International Peace and Security, King’s College, London
LLB (Hons) in Law, The University of Sussex
LLM in Professional Legal Practice, The University of Law
Solicitor, England and Wales, 2017
Kio has co-authored a number of articles on the private enforcement of competition law, including a publication in the Competition Law Journal on the territorial limits of EU cartel damages actions in the UK courts.
In addition, Kio regularly contributes to the Hausfeld Perspective which you can find in the respective section below.