Class Actions in Digital Markets
This lunchtime webinar brought together a panel of global experts debating the various types of consumer harms arising in digital markets; the implications of new EU Acts, the launch of a series of complaints and investigations and the options for private enforcement actions. The webinar was hosted by ThoughtLeaders4 on Zoom on September 28 from 12.00 – 1.30 pm GMT and was free to attend.
London Partner Lucy Pert – who, in addition, shared her thoughts around the funding of these cases - joined leading others specialists in their field:
- Erick Gunawan - Director - Singapore Office - BRG Singapore
- Anneli Howard QC - Barrister - Monckton Chambers
- Nicolas Petit - Full-time Professor - Joint Chair - Department of Law | Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies (Italy)
- Daniel Ryan - Managing Director, Head of London Office - BRG
- Ben Sigler - Partner - Stephenson Harwood
Together, they explored:
- What types of harms can arise in digital markets?
- What are the particular challenges of bringing class actions in relation to these harms? What causes of action are there and what certification issues arise?
- What should be the role of private enforcement? Are actions helpful ahead of findings from regulators?
- What types of expert evidence are needed?
- What issues arise in quantifying the damages?
- What is on the horizon for the next wave of class actions in digital markets?
Participants had the opportunity to exchange ideas or ask questions during an interactive Q&A session.