Brian has extensive experience representing U.S. and international businesses in complex litigation at the trial and appellate levels. He is particularly experienced in litigating and resolving antitrust claims in U.S. and European courts, recovering more than a billion dollars for his corporate clients and the classes he has represented.
Brian is Vice Chair of the firm and serves on the firm’s Global Executive Committee. His broad global experience demonstrates his ability to tackle and find solutions for the most novel legal issues, as well as represent his clients at all stages of global antitrust litigation and other complex business disputes, whether in the discovery, damages, trial, appeal or settlement phase, or whether in the U.S., Europe, or globally. This unique combination enables him to counsel and act for clients comprehensively, in a commercially sensitive manner, and wherever necessary.
Brian represents clients from a wide range of sectors including automotive, retail, transportation, petroleum, utility, financial services, and pharma.
Brian currently represents or has represented purchasers of auto parts, car glass, air freight services, rail freight, carbon graphite, polyurethane foam, paraffin wax, marine hose, Visa/MasterCard services, trucks, power cables, elevators, and pre-stressing steel in their individual cartel damage claims in the US, Europe and/or globally. In the marine hose matter, on behalf of a group of oil and gas companies, he led the negotiations with cartelist Parker ITR which produced a first of its kind private global settlement agreement.
Many of Brian's diverse clients are listed in the US and Global Fortune 100 and Fortune 500.
University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D., 1999
Indiana University- Bloomington, B.A.J., 1996
District of Columbia
The United States Supreme Court
Several Federal Courts
Managing Editor, Journal of Law and Commerce
President, CertifiKID, LLC, a deal website focused on kids’ activities and family entertainment. In 2010, Brian co-founded the business with his wife Jamie who serves as CEO and runs the day to day operations. His focus with the business is on high level business strategy and partnerships, as well as legal and financial issues. In April 2019, Brian and Jamie appeared on the popular ABC television show Shark Tank and cut a deal with Kevin O’Leary (a/k/a “Mr. Wonderful”), one of the top five biggest investments Mr. O’Leary has made in any company in ten seasons of Shark Tank.
- "Criminal Antitrust Panel," Edward Bennett Williams Inn of Court (Nov. 15, 2018), Panelist
- "International- Private Antitrust Enforcement Around the Globe," AAI 11th Annual Private Antitrust Enforcement Conference (Nov. 7, 2017), Panelist
- "Global antitrust litigation - A brave new world," GCR Live 5th Annual Antitrust Law Leaders Forum (Feb. 5-6, 2016), Panelist
- "Private Enforcement: New International Approaches and Developments," Northwestern Law (May 20, 2015), Panelist
- “Delivering Substantial Shareholder Returns Through Cartel Damages Litigation, on a Risk-Free Basis and with No Financial Investment," 10th Corporate Counsel & Corporate Compliance Exchange (April 7-9, 2014), Panel Leader
- "Chapter 39: USA," The International Comparative Legal Guide to Cartels & Leniency (2014), Co-Author
- "Principles and Objectives of Formal and Informal Settlements in EU Competition Cases: The Claimant’s Perspective," submitted for European University Institute's 13th Annual Competition Law & Policy Workshop, (publication pending), Co-Author
- "Prosecuting Class Actions and Group Litigation - Understanding the Rise of International Class and Collective Action Litigation and How this Leads to Classes that Span International Borders," World Class Actions, Chapter 26, September 2012), Co-Author with Michael Hausfeld
- "The Novelty of Wal-Mart v. Dukes," American Bar Association, Business Torts & Civil RICO Committee, Business Torts & RICO News (Vol. 8, Issue 1, Fall 2011), Co-Author with Sathya S. Gosselin
- "A Proposal for a Transitional Forum," submitted for Law Seminars International: Antitrust Claims Against Foreign Firms and Cartels conference (Sept. 7-8, 2006), Co-Author
- "What It Takes to Dominate in the Elite Game of International Litigation," The American Lawyer (Sept. 28, 2017)
- "Bar hopping," Global Competition Review (June 30, 2014)
- "Jury Finds Chinese Vitamin C Makers Fixed Prices; $153.3M Judgment Entered," Mealey's Legal News & Litigation Reports (March 14, 2013)
- "Rising Star: Hausfeld's Brian Ratner," Law360 (March 22, 2012)
- "Brian Ratner, People on the Move," Business Journal (April 4, 2012)
- "Vitamins cartel action filed against Roche in Panama," Law360, (Sept. 11, 2009)
- "40 under 40," 2009 Legal Times (July 14, 2009)
- "Unprecedented Global Settlement Reached with Parker ITR in Marine Hose Cartel," Class Action Litigation (March 13, 2009)
- "Private settlements could gain steam, lawyers say," Law360 (March 12, 2009)
- "'Shell Model' Opens Door to European Class Actions," The American Lawyer (Jan. 7, 2008)
WHAT OTHERS SAY
- Recommended Lawyer, Antitrust - Civil Litigation/Class Actions since 2013
- Hall of Fame in 2020 – described by the Legal 500 as "including individuals who have received constant praise from their clients for continued excellence. The Hall of Fame highlights, to clients, the law firm partners who are at the pinnacle of the profession."
"Brian Ratner and Melinda Coolidge are both first class. They are personable, knowledgeable and deliver results." (Legal 500 US, Antitrust - Civil Litigation/Class Actions, 2020)
"[T]he 'incredibly impressive' . . . Brian Ratner [is a] highly skilled negotiator and litigator, and real fighter with an outstanding strategic sense . . . brilliant lawyer Brian Ratner is a very smart and business-oriented negotiator . . . [He] thinks strategically, is an excellent negotiator and has a solid foundation of substantive law." (Legal 500 US, Antitrust - Civil Litigation/Class Actions, 2013-Present)
"Engaging, highly competent professional who can simplify complex antitrust matters and make them comprehensible to a non-antitrust attorney." (Legal 500 US, Antitrust - Civil Litigation/Class Actions, 2011)
Who’s Who Legal
- Thought Leader, Competition: Plaintiff in 2021
- Global Leader, Competition: Plaintiff in 2020
- Recommended Lawyer, Competition: Plaintiff since 2018
"Brian Ratner earns impressive recommendations for his competition plaintiff expertise. He is considered ‘smart and likeable,’ and 'one of the next-generation leaders.'" (Who’s Who Legal, Competition - Plaintiff - Legal Marketplace Analysis, 2020)
Brian Ratner has "a brilliant legal mind while being extremely pragmatic and commercially minded," commented interviewees. (Who’s Who Legal, Competition - Plaintiff - Legal Marketplace Analysis, 2019)
"He is praised as a lawyer who 'goes the extra mile,' and whose 'high-quality work product is feared by competitors.'" (Who’s Who Legal, Competition - Plaintiff - Legal Marketplace Analysis, 2018)
- Super Lawyer, Antitrust Litigation in Washington, DC since 2014
- Leading Global Litigation Lawyer in 2021
- Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyer since 2019
- Leading Lawyer in America since 2018
American Antitrust Institute
- Outstanding Antitrust Litigation Achievement in Private Law Practice in 2019: an honor he received as part of the In re Vitamin C Litigation case team.
Global Competition Review
- Litigation of the Year - Cartel Prosecution in 2019: an honor he received as part of the In re Vitamin C Litigation case team.
- Local Litigation Star from 2013-2015 and Antitrust Litigation Star in 2013 by Benchmark Litigation.
- Rising Stars in 2012 by Law360
- 40 under 40 by in 2009 The Legal Times
Disclaimer: The DC Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters; the Legal 500 is published by Legalease Ltd. The Benchmark Plaintiff Guide is published by Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC and Institutional Investor, Inc. The Law360 Rising Stars list is issued by Portfolio Media, Inc. The Legal Times “40 under 40” list is issued by American Lawyer Media. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
WHAT OTHERS SAY
Who's Who Legal, 2020
Earns impressive recommendations for his competition plaintiff expertise. He is considered 'smart and likeable,' and 'one of the next-generation leaders.'
Legal 500 US, 2020
Brian Ratner and Melinda Coolidge are both first class. They are personable, knowledgeable and deliver results.
Legal 500, 2014-Present
[T]he ‘incredibly impressive . . . Brian Ratner [is a] highly skilled negotiator and litigator, and real fighter with an outstanding strategic sense . . . brilliant lawyer Brian Ratner is a very smart and business-oriented negotiator . . . [He] thinks strategically, is an excellent negotiator and has a solid foundation of substantive law.”