Reena A. Gambhir
Reena Gambhir is a partner in the firm’s Washington, DC office, where she represents a diverse array of clients around the world, including global businesses and individuals who have suffered losses due to anticompetitive behavior. She has played a leading role in some of the largest and most complex antitrust cases in the United States, including where she helped secure settlements of over 2.3 billion dollars on behalf of investors against some of the largest banks in the world. Reena’s wide-ranging experience allows her to uniquely advise and act for clients in all stages of litigation around the world, and achieve wide-ranging innovative strategies and solutions. Reena is committed to the private civil enforcement of competition law around the world. In addition to her work in antitrust, Reena practices environmental and human rights cases.
Reena is a member of the firm’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee, and is a member of the Pro-bono Committee.
Reena represents clients across a broad range of industries, including individual and institutional investors, farmers, miners, consumers, and corporations and other businesses and individuals who purchased products at prices inflated by anticompetitive conduct.
Antitrust / Competition
- In re Foreign Exchange Benchmark Rates Antitrust Litigation – Reena is currently leading this high-stake lawsuit alleging a global conspiracy by some of the world’s largest financial institutions to fix and manipulate foreign exchange rates. In this case, Reena was instrumental in negotiating and drafting settlements reaching over $2.3 billion in total on behalf of investors. For its work on the case, Hausfeld received Global Competition Review’s award for “Litigation of the Year – Cartel Prosecution.”
- In re Farm-Raised Salmon and Salmon Products Litigation – Reena is co-lead counsel in this litigation alleging a price-fixing conspiracy between the leading producers of farm-raised Atlantic Salmon.
- In re Hydrogen Peroxide Antitrust Litigation – Reena was one of the principal lawyers to secure settlements totaling almost $100 million in an antitrust case involving the chemical industry.
- In re Refrigerant Compressors Antitrust Litigation – Reena represented global businesses in this alleged price-fixing case, reaching settlements of approximately $50 million.
- Marine Hose Litigation – Reena concluded the negotiations for the final claims resulting from the first of its kind private global settlement with cartelist Parker ITR.
Civil and Human Rights
- Reena is currently at the forefront of competition claims in South Africa, having worked with South African counsel in groundbreaking litigation on behalf of low-income bread consumers. This case resulted in a landmark ruling by the Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA) which determined for the first time the specific requirements for filing a collective action in South African courts.
- Reena represented residents of Bhopal, India who were exposed to toxic wastes. These wastes contaminated the soil and drinking water surrounding the infamous Union Carbide Plant, which was the site of the 1984 gas leak that killed and injured thousands of residents.
- Reena has been involved in litigation in both the UK and in in South Africa on behalf of South African gold miners who have suffered from silicosis. In South Africa, the Johannesburg High Court certified the case as a class action against most of South Africa’s gold mining industry. Following certification, extensive negotiations resulted in a landmark settlement in May 2018.
- Reena also assisted in the representation of the former “comfort women,” a title given to women and girls who were forced into sexual slavery during World War II.
- In her pro bono work, among other cases, Reena has successfully represented individuals in United States Immigration Court in political asylum proceedings.
What Others Say
- Lawdragon named Reena as one of its "Top Plaintiff Financial Lawyers" (2019-Present), and as a "Top Plaintiff Consumer Lawyer" (2020)
- Reena has been listed as a “Recommended Lawyer” and a “Next Generation Lawyer” in Antitrust - Civil Litigation/Class Actions - Plaintiff by The Legal 500 (2018-Present)
- Global Competition Review named Reena among the top “40-under-40” antitrust lawyers in the world (2015)
- The Washington Business Journal named Reena a “Top Minority Business Leader,” an honor held for the top 25 Greater Washington leaders who embody entrepreneurial drive, creativity and success in business (2015)
- The National Law Journal has named Reena as a Washington, D.C. “Rising Star,” (2014) recognizing the top 40-under-40 Washington D.C. lawyers across all disciplines whose legal accomplishments belie their age.
- Law360 named Reena a Rising Star as well (2015)
- Twice now, the Profiles in Diversity Journal named Reena a “Woman Worth Watching,” an award held for selected women who have distinguished themselves in their career (2013 and 2015)
- Reena was elected as a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation, an honor afforded to less than one-third of one percent of lawyers, judges and legal scholars whose careers have demonstrated outstanding dedication to the highest principles of the legal profession
The George Washington University, National Law Center, J.D., cum laude, 2004, Thurgood Marshall Scholar
University of Chicago, M.A., 2000
Boston College, B.A., cum laude, 1999
District of Columbia
Affiliations & Memberships
Elected as a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation, an honor afforded to less than one-third of one percent of lawyers, judges and legal scholars whose careers have demonstrated outstanding dedication to the highest principles of the legal profession.
Appointed Leadership, American Bar Association's Section of Antitrust International Task Force
Member, South Asian Bar Association
Member, International Human Rights Society
Member, Women’s Antitrust Plaintiffs Association
Elected Fellow, American Bar Foundation (2014 - Present)
Member, Hausfeld Summer Associate Committee
Co-author, Global Enforcement of Anticompetitive Conduct, presented in Florence, Italy at The Tenth Annual Sedona Conference on Antitrust Law & Litigation: The Globalization of Antitrust Enforcement (September 2008).
Presentations & Speeches
Panelist, "Pathways to Partnership," South Asian Bar Association, July 16, 2019.
Speaker, "Class Actions and Private Actions," George Mason Law Review's 18th Annual Antitrust Symposium, February 19, 2015.