Luke is Counsel in the London office of Hausfeld & Co LLP. He is a competition litigation specialist, who joins Hausfeld from Allen & Overy LLP where he was a Senior Associate in the Competition Litigation practice.
Luke has acted on some of the largest and most complex competition litigation matters in recent years, including the defence of major collective proceedings before the Competition Appeal Tribunal, and advising a group of leading financial institutions in relation to the litigation and settlement of multi-party actions in the Competition Appeal Tribunal and the High Court. He was formerly an Associate in Cleary Gottlieb’s London office, where he:
- represented clients contesting and supporting decisions by competition authorities, including representing Ryanair in challenging decisions of the Competition Commission prohibiting the purchase of Aer Lingus, and
- acting for Metlac in the Competition Appeal Tribunal and Court of Appeal supporting the CMA’s decision to block a hostile takeover by AkzoNobel.
He has particular experience of the collective proceedings regime under the Consumer Rights Act, and is part of the Hausfeld & Co LLP team representing Justin Gutmann in bringing the first ever standalone claim under this regime, against three train operating companies for abuse of a dominant position.
Luke also has extensive experience in complex international litigation, arbitration, and cross border insolvency proceedings and has acted for a range of governments, financial institutions and corporations and high net worth individuals in advancing and defending high value claims in the High Court, and in ICC, LCIA, LMAA and ECT arbitral proceedings.
Recent highlights include:
- managing a cross border team in LMAA arbitral proceedings advancing claims relating to the construction and delivery of a €500m superyacht
- acting for a high street bank in defending High Court proceedings regarding the sale of a distressed debt portfolio, including ancillary insolvency proceedings in the Chancery Division of the High Court
- advising an AIM listed mining company in defending mass tort claims relating to operations in Sierra Leone
- representing a Caribbean government in a $60m Bermuda arbitration claim.
Luke speaks and writes regularly on competition issues. He is also committed to defending civil liberties and human rights, including time on secondment at Liberty, and has an active pro bono practice