Katie R. Beran
Katie’s practice focuses on pursuing justice for plaintiffs in antitrust, civil and human rights, and environmental litigation. She has received many recognitions and honors in recent years, including being named a Lawyer on the Fast Track by The Legal Intelligencer, a Rising Star in Antitrust Litigation by Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, and an Energy & Environmental Trailblazer by the National Law Journal. Before joining the firm, Katie served as a federal Law Clerk to the Honorable Gerald A. McHugh in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania during the first two years of Judge McHugh’s tenure on the Bench.
Katie has represented a diverse array of clients, including cancer patients and other end payors of generic pharmaceuticals, the nation’s largest supplier of public drinking water, non-profit organizations, and victims of data security breaches.
Katie also maintains a robust pro bono practice. While clerking, she was heavily involved in the Supervision to Aid Reentry (“STAR”) Program in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, which supports ex-offenders in successfully reentering society. Katie continues to support the program as a supervising attorney to law students enrolled in the Federal Reentry Court Clinic, where she often represents STAR clients in family law and traffic court proceedings. In addition, Katie serves as pro bono counsel for victims of childhood sexual abuse by clergy in five Catholic archdioceses and dioceses in Pennsylvania, advising claimants of their rights related to compensation programs.
Antitrust / Competition
- In re Thalomid and Revlimid Antitrust Litigation – A class action alleging that the defendant’s extensive anticompetitive conduct excluded generic alternatives for Thalomid and Revlimid, two drugs used to treat rare but deadly conditions, from entering the market, causing end payors to incur millions of dollars in overcharges.
- In re Foreign Exchange Benchmark Rates Antitrust Litigation – A case alleging a conspiracy to fix the prices of foreign exchange instruments among some of the largest banks in the world, in which the firm has secured more than $2.3 billion in settlements.
- In re Farm-Raised Salmon and Salmon Products Litigation – A class action on behalf of salmon purchasers alleging a price-fixing conspiracy between the leading producers of farm-raised Atlantic Salmon.
Deceptive Business Practices and Consumer Protection
- Bhatia v. 3M Company, No. 0:16 cv-1304 (D. Minn.) – A class action filed on behalf of dentists and dental practices alleging that 3M knowingly sold defective dental crowns and, even after pulling the product from the market, refused to reimburse dentists for the replacement costs, which ultimately settled for $32.5 million.
- In re American Medical Collection Agency, Inc. Customer Data Security Data Breach Litigation – A class action arising out of a data security breach that compromised patient data at various medical diagnostic testing companies.
Civil and Human Rights
- Katie has worked on human rights litigation regarding imminent threats to public health and investigated claims of discrimination on behalf of individuals.
What Others Say
- Katie and Hausfeld's Philadelphia office were honored with the Philadelphia Bar Foundation's Pro Bono Award (2019)
- Katie was honored with the “Recognized Community Partner” award by the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania for her valuable contributions to the STAR program (2019)
- Katie was recognized by Pennsylvania Super Lawyers as a “Rising Star” in Antitrust and Environmental litigation (2018-Present)
- The National Law Journal honored Katie as an “Energy & Environmental Trailblazer” (2018)
- The Legal Intelligencer deemed Katie a “Lawyer on the Fast Track” (2017)
- Katie was the recipient of the Penn Law Toll Public Interest Center, Pro Bono Supervisor Award for her work with Federal Reentry Court Clinic students (2016)
Disclaimer: The Legal Intelligencer Lawyers on the Fast Track list is issued by American Lawyer Media (ALM); a description of the selection methodology can be found here. The Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Stars list is issued by Thomson Reuters; a description of the selection methodology can be found here. The National Law Journal’s Energy and Environmental Trailblazers list is issued by ALM; a description of the selection methodology can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
University of Pennsylvania Law School, cum laude, 2012
American University, magna cum laude, 2009
U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court – New Jersey
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
Affiliations & Memberships
Fellow, American Bar Foundation
Vice Chair, Antitrust Law Section Legislation Committee, American Bar Association
Philadelphia Bar Association
Philadelphia Bar Foundation
The Chamber of Commerce for Greater Philadelphia Young Professionals Council
Jewish Social Policy Action Network, Vice President (2014-2018)
Federal Reentry Court Clinic Adjunct Professor, Temple University Beasley School of Law (2015-2016)
Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Gerald A. McHugh, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania (2014-2016)
Legal Writing Instructor, University of Pennsylvania Law School (2011-2012)
Co-author, “The Federal Trade Commission Slams Impax/Endo Reverse Payment Settlement,” Hausfeld Competition Bulletin (Spring 2019), reprinted in Lexology
Author, Recent Third Circuit Product-Hopping Case Warrants Rehearing, Lexology (Nov. 16, 2016)
Revisiting the Prostitution Debate: Uniting Liberal & Radical Feminism in Pursuit of Policy Reform, Law and Inequality: A Journal of Theory and Practice. University of Minnesota Law Journal, Volume 30, Issue 1 (2012)
Nowhere to Fall: Facing the Economic Crisis in the U.S, Z Magazine (Oct. 2009). Co-author with Professor Celine-Marie Pascale.
Presentations & Speeches
Panelist, ABA Section of Antitrust Law Program: Careers in Antitrust (Rutgers Law School, November 4, 2019)
Panelist, Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas Civil Conversations CJE Program: Climate Change Litigation: To Be or Not To Be? (June 27, 2019)
Moderator, ABA Section of Antitrust Law Legislation Committee Program: Healthcare & Pharma Regulation Through Antitrust Legislation (April 25, 2019)
Moderator, Successful Reentry: Innovative Programs to Reduce Recidivism and Reform the Criminal Justice System, Pursuing Justice 2016: Bend the Arc’s First National Conference (June 6, 2016)
Panelist, Transformative Lawyering, Community Partnerships and the Power of Reentry Court, 2nd Annual Conference for Integrating Spirituality, Law and Politics, Drexel University Thomas R. Kline School of Law (June 4, 2016)