Anthony Maton has more than 25 years' experience of litigating claims in the UK, Europe and across the globe, 16 of which as a partner. In 2009, Anthony co-founded Hausfeld & Co LLP in London which he leads as Managing Partner. In September 2019, he was appointed Co-Vice Chair globally.
As one of the pioneers of the private enforcement of competition law damages in Europe, Anthony has been at its center of development ever since. He managed some of the most high-profile competition damages actions of the last decade. He also established the firm as one of the go-to litigation practices for actions against banks. He has been at the forefront of law firms using innovative funding methods that enable clients to litigate should they choose to do so on a no risk no cost basis.
He is a skilled negotiator with a renowned ability to formulate innovative settlement strategies - he has personally overseen settlements on behalf of over 100 claimant groups as part of the Air Cargo litigation during a 6-month mediation process. He has arbitrated under many rules including the LCIA, ICC and LME.
Anthony has been involved in some of the largest competition claims brought in Europe on behalf of claimants including some of the largest manufacturers of electronics and cars worldwide.
Anthony has advised on or represented, often as lead partner, in respect of:
- The Marine Hose cartel on behalf of 50+ oil companies from across the globe resulting in the innovative Parker Settlement.
- The Paraffin Wax cartel for a group of over 30 European businesses against Shell, Exxon and other oil companies in.
- Trains - The first standalone collective action to be filed in the UK. Hausfeld co-filed a claim on behalf of millions of rail passengers in the Competition Appeal Tribunal against the operators of the South Western and Southeastern rail franchises, alongside Charles Lyndon. The opt-out, collective action is being led by Justin Gutmann, formerly of Citizens Advice and an experienced campaigner on consumer issues.
- The Car Glass cartel.
- The Carbon Graphite cartel for a group of European rail companies.
- Air Cargo cartel litigation which was run by Hausfeld for over 400 businesses against BA.
- The Air Passenger settlement against BA/Virgin.
- LIBOR claims.
Anthony led the team on:
- Air Cargo - Hausfeld pursued claims for losses that occurred in over 50 different jurisdictions as a result of the Air Cargo Cartel, ultimately representing 400 claimant entities - including a significant number of multinationals - against British Airways plc and 13 Part 20 Defendant Airlines in some of the longest running, most high-profile and complex competition damages actions brought to date in the English Courts. He was instrumental on bringing the 6-month mediation to a satisfactory close.
What Others Say
Anthony is recognised in Chambers and Legal 500 for competition litigation, as well as other directories including Super Lawyers.
According to an interviewee, Anthony Maton is "the leading competition claimant lawyer in London with unrivalled experience in bringing cases." He has an impressive track record representing clients in opt-out collective damages proceedings involving the transport and financial services industries. - Competition Law Private Enforcement Claimant, Chambers UK 2021
Anthony Maton is managing partner of the firm and an experienced financial litigator. He has notable expertise acting in high-profile cases against prominent financial institutions, particularly matters involving intersection between banking and competition law.
"Anthony leads the team with calm assurance and a common-sense approach to problems." "He is excellent and a very able lawyer." "A superb practitioner." - Banking Litigation: Mainly Claimant, Chambers UK 2021
London managing partner Anthony Maton [...] number among the firm's roster of well-respected financial litigators. - Litigation, Chambers UK 2021
Anthony Maton is often credited with driving the success of the firm's UK competition litigation practice. "He is a really clever business lawyer who knows how to turn a problem into a solvable lawsuit," says one market commentator, while another source notes Maton's "strategic understanding of these cases." - Competition Law Private Enforcement Claimant, Chambers UK, Chambers Europe and Chambers Global 2020
Sources describe Anthony Maton as "a brilliant strategist who is very good at client relationships." He is highly regarded for his work on cartel follow-on damages claims, particularly in the areas of financial services and transport. – Competition Law Private Enforcement Claimant, Chambers UK, Chambers Europe and Chambers Global 2019
Anthony is described as “the best in the class.” Anthony is also recognised for extensive experience in international dispute resolution, and clients praise his “very frank economic thinking: he looks at matters from all angles.” - Competition Law Private Enforcement Claimant, Chambers UK 2018
“Anthony is experienced in all types of dispute resolution and has noted expertise in the financial services sector. He advised Emerald Supplies and others on follow-on damages actions against British Airways resulting from the EC's air cargo cartel decision. Sources remark: "He is a very able lawyer with good judgement - he is at the cutting edge of these sort of claims." - Competition Law Private Enforcement Claimant, Chambers UK 2017
Anthony is highlighted as a notable practitioner and is described as the “leading practitioner in this area. Peers respect his experience, whilst clients appreciate his ‘very sharp mind.’ He has played a significant role in developing this area of the law.” - Competition Law Private Enforcement Claimant, Chambers UK 2016
“Anthony is a widely respected litigator who is at the forefront of damages litigation in the UK. Representing claimants in damages actions is at the core of his practice and he is recognised as being a driving force in the development of this area of law. Sources describe him as ‘an expert who stands out from the crowd.’” - Competition Law Private Enforcement Claimant, Chambers UK 2015
“Anthony earns praise for his ability to provide a good tactical overview. His niche practice focuses exclusively on representing claimants in bringing damages actions following cartel decisions.” - Competition Law Private Enforcement Claimant, Chambers UK 2014
Ranked as a 'Leading Individual': ‘Anthony Maton is at the absolute top of his game.’ – Competition Litigation, 2021
Seen as ‘a trailblazer’ in the area of private competition law enforcement in the UK. – Competition Litigation, 2021
‘Anthony Maton is statesman-like – the guiding spirit of the London office. Charming, sensible, astute.’ – Banking Litigation: Investment and Retail, 2021
‘Excellent leadership skills’ – Competition Litigation, 2020
‘Anthony Maton remains the driving force and genius loci of the London office. He has an innovative, creative mind and is excellent at progressing strategies and securing positive outcomes for his clients’. – Competition Litigation, 2020
’A great tactician with excellent client skills’ – Commercial Litigation, 2020
Anthony is listed as a ‘Leading Individual’ – Competition Litigation, 2020
‘Commercially aware’ – Competition Litigation, 2019
Anthony continues to be recognised as a leading individual in the sector. Anthony, alongside Andrew Bullion, is mentioned for representing ‘500 corporate entities seeking compensation under the long-running air cargo cartel litigation.’ – Competition Litigation, 2018
“Anthony is who clients want in the room for settlement discussions.” - Banking Litigation: Investment & Retail, 2016
Anthony Maton has ‘done a fine job managing the firm and building its client base and pool of attorneys.’ – Competition Litigation, 2016
Who’s Who Legal
Anthony Maton is a top-drawer plaintiff specialist in the European market, lauded by peers “an excellent and very experienced lawyer”. - Global Elite Thought Leader for Competition Plaintiffs, 2020
Anthony was mentioned among ‘Thought Leaders Global Elite’ in the 2020 edition of Who’s Who Legal Thought Leaders – Competition 2020’.
Anthony Maton sits among the world’s elite competition plaintiff specialists in our research this year. He has 25 years of experience in litigating claims around the world and is at the forefront of competition damages litigation in Europe. – Global Leader for Competition Plaintiffs, 2019
Anthony was mentioned among ‘Thought Leaders Global Elite’ in the 2019 edition of Who’s Who Legal Thought Leaders – Competition 2019’.
Anthony was described as “the best in the plantiffs’ bar in the UK” and listed for his ‘exceptional performance’ in the ‘Who’s Who Legal 2018 Plantiffs Chapter’, calling the European offices “stand out…leading firm in the European market”.
Law Society Finals, College of Law, Guildford
Common Professional Examination, College of Law, Guildford
B.A. in Modern History, Exeter College, Oxford – First Class Honours and Fitzgerald Prize
Solicitor, England and Wales
Affiliations & Memberships
Anthony is an accredited Mediator and member of:
- The London Solicitors Litigation Association
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- London Solicitors Litigation Association (and former Secretary)
- The Law Society
- International Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Competition Litigation Network
News & Press
"Barclays' LIBOR embarrassment" - The Economist, 27 June 2012
"Wall Street Bank Investors In Dark on Libor Liability" - Bloomberg, 5 July 2012
- "LinkedIn blog on remote working during the pandemic" - April 2020
- "Private enforcement of competition law: proposed reforms within the UK and EU" - Practical Law Company (PLC), 2014, co-authored with Charles Laporte-Bisquit and Simon Latham
- "The Private Competition Enforcement Review" - LBResearch
- "Refresh" - Biz Article, June 2013
- "A.I. Global Media Ltd" - Acquisition International, May 2013
- "Funding Litigation" - Lexis PSL Competition, May 2013
- "Jurisdiction" - Lexis PSL Competition, April 2013
- "2013 Q1 Report, Acquisition International Magazine" - Acquisition International, April 2013
- "Guide to competition litigation for foreign companies, CorporateINTL" - The Lawyer, April 2013
- "The Air Cargo Cartel - Counting the cost of conspiracy" - Competition Law Insight, September 2012
- "Private antitrust litigation 2011, Introduction" - Global Competition Review, 2011, co-authored with Scott Campbell
- "The international handbook of private enforcement of competition law, the England & Wales chapter" - The American Antitrust Institute, 2010, co-authored with Vincent Smith and Scott Campbell
Presentations & Speeches
Anthony speaks regularly in London and abroad on Competition, Financial Services and funding issues and co-chairs two leading events on the conference calendar; the Annual Competition Litigation conference in Europe for Global Competition Review and the Cambridge Forum where 45 experts in their field are invited to attend a two day European competition law forum.
For more details, also see the ‘Events’ section below.